Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best 9mm ammo for an Apartment?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 10:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Id look at hornaday critical duty. Very rapid expansion, doesn't penetrate too much.

Old 08-31-2012, 02:29 AM   #22

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockRenegade View Post
Well the good thing is im getting a mossy 500 in 2 weeks, then i wont have to worry about 9mm for home def
Bingo!!!!!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 08-31-2012, 04:18 AM   #23

Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock
Id look at hornaday critical duty. Very rapid expansion, doesn't penetrate too much.
True.. i have critical defense. They havent had them at LGS ir Academy

Old 09-06-2012, 12:46 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryGlock View Post
Check again. Hornady advertises that it (Critical Duty Ammo) penetrates windshield glass, multiple layers of drywall, some thickness of wood ... there's a list according to the FBI's specification for penetration with continued lethal effect.

Quoting their site: "Its large mechanical jacket-to-core InterLock® band works to keep the bullet and core from separating for maximum weight retention and proven terminal performance through all FBI test barriers."

From here: http://www.hornady.com/store/Critical-DUTY-New/

Their Critical Defense ammo doesn't mention penetrating through anything but heavy clothing ... whether it goes through walls, I don't know, but is probably worthy of testing.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:10 PM   #25

A buddy of mine is a California attorney and told me not to buy any ammo specifically with shooting someone in my home in mind. (12 guage tactical loads, .44 hydro shock) He said it would be easier to defend my actions if I wasn't planning the safest way to shoot someone.
You have to love our litigious society.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:08 PM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottmac

Check again. Hornady advertises that it (Critical Duty Ammo) penetrates windshield glass, multiple layers of drywall, some thickness of wood ... there's a list according to the FBI's specification for penetration with continued lethal effect.

Quoting their site: "Its large mechanical jacket-to-core InterLock® band works to keep the bullet and core from separating for maximum weight retention and proven terminal performance through all FBI test barriers."

From here: http://www.hornady.com/store/Critical-DUTY-New/

Their Critical Defense ammo doesn't mention penetrating through anything but heavy clothing ... whether it goes through walls, I don't know, but is probably worthy of testing.
Agreed.. Critical Duty was made to penetrate just about any barrier a police officer or govt agent would see on a day to day basis. Wood.. Car doors.. Dry wall ... Ugly intruder!

Its my new choice for home defense load! Hornady makes amazing products.. This one is no different. Its a "Hot" load so practice will be painful in small handguns... Painful on the wallet as well.. I pay $20 for 25rds. I only take 1 box at time to the range.... Paper targets dont stand a chance

image-3215643156.jpg

Old 09-13-2012, 09:42 PM   #27

Liked 141 Times on 99 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemotte

Agreed.. Critical Duty was made to penetrate just about any barrier a police officer or govt agent would see on a day to day basis. Wood.. Car doors.. Dry wall ... Ugly intruder!

Its my new choice for home defense load! Hornady makes amazing products.. This one is no different. Its a "Hot" load so practice will be painful in small handguns... Painful on the wallet as well.. I pay $20 for 25rds. I only take 1 box at time to the range.... Paper targets dont stand a chance
Why would you want a round that penetrates for home defense? You don't want it going through walls, say in an APARTMENT for Hd critical defense is what you want. And I can say this is a rapidly expanding round, meaning it loose's most of its energy as soon as it penetrates, which again is what your looking for.

Old 09-14-2012, 02:39 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 63 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdemotte View Post

Attachment 58627
Penetration is not the issue; over-penetrations is. Any bullet that passes through completely is not dumping that energy into the Bad Guy ... is not contributing to the system shock generally sought to make the Bad Guy stop what he's doing. The object is not to kill or critically wound; it's to make them stop.

In other words: Penetration is Good (to a point); perforation (through-and-through) is Bad.

Until I can check out the loads mentioned earlier (Magsafe), I'll stick with Glasers, at least for the top couple on the mag or cylinder positions.

Last edited by scottmac; 09-14-2012 at 02:42 AM.

Old 09-14-2012, 01:48 PM   #29

The best home defense round is the one you never have to fire. The loudest noise in the world is the racking of a 12 ga. pump at 1:00 am. Anyone in your home is looking for the quickest way out.

Old 09-14-2012, 04:56 PM   #30

Liked 20 Times on 13 Posts

I have said that for years. The sound of a 12 gauge is a sound that can not be mistaken. Then again hearing a slide slam shut might have the same effect.