Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best 9mm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2013, 06:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Best 9mm

I'm looking to getting first handgun and have chosen the 9mm. Which would be the best all around semi auto. I've quickly chosen a Glock 19 and a m&p sd9ve but what's the best in your opinion

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-28-2013, 06:18 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3725 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackthatsit
I'm looking to getting first handgun and have chosen the 9mm. Which would be the best all around semi auto. I've quickly chosen a Glock 19 and a m&p sd9ve but what's the best in your opinion
It's all personal preference. Most of the major brands will more than likely perform as reliably as others.

Are you looking to conceal or target shooting? Thumb safety or not? Grip safety or not? Single stack, double stack, or staggered stack?

For what its worth, I use a S&W M&P9c and my wife uses the full size of the same gun.

I suggest going to a gun range and asking to hold different guns to get a feel for them. Rent as many as you can.

Always have clean socks.

Glockpotion23 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 06:23 AM   #3

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

That's not an easy question unless you are more specific. For instance, a Beretta 92 is widely considered the standard for durability, reliability and parts availability, but it's a large heavy pistol and wouldn't be a good weapon to conceal and people with smaller hands don't care for it. So, we need more info here. How do you intend to use it?

...and the Beretta 92 is a DA/SA pistol which operates different from a Striker-Fired Glock so, you need to know what type of action you prefer.

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 05-28-2013 at 06:33 AM.

Old 05-28-2013, 09:26 AM   #4

Liked 2446 Times on 1393 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
That's not an easy question unless you are more specific. For instance, a Beretta 92 is widely considered the standard for durability, reliability and parts availability, but it's a large heavy pistol and wouldn't be a good weapon to conceal and people with smaller hands don't care for it. So, we need more info here. How do you intend to use it?

...and the Beretta 92 is a DA/SA pistol which operates different from a Striker-Fired Glock so, you need to know what type of action you prefer.
MMMMMMM! WISE he is.

To him should you listen!

Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 AM   #5

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Zach,

I have the SW sd40ve and love it. Now, it is not an M&P its the step below but shots and feels like the M&P...except the trigger is a bit different. I do agree with the others....do you plan to carry, hd, target...its intended use would be a help to assist you further.

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Old 05-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

Liked 47 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I would choose the one I was comfortable shooting with. That's just my logic.

Old 05-28-2013, 12:55 PM   #7

Liked 1126 Times on 731 Posts
Likes Given: 2013

The best one , is the one that feels best in your hand for you, not what others suggest . Go to a gun shop that has a indoor range and pick out a couple and shoot them . You will be more confident and be more accurate with a gun that feel best to you .

And Dictators Prefer Unarmed Citizens

Old 05-28-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Concealed Carry Instructor
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 908 Times on 599 Posts
Likes Given: 226

Well, you have picked the single most popular handgun round in the world today, that every single gun manufacturer makes several models to shoot. Models, sub models, barrel lengths, full size, compact, subcompact.

You have really narrowed down your choice.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:42 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3859 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Yep, you need to do research, make a list of what you want out of the gun, know your cost limitstions and test various guns. This can actually be fun. I chose the Sig Sauer P226r to meet my needs. It is sexy and a girl magnet

I actually chose it for the reliability, accuracy, quality, proof of battle worthiness, quick target acquisition sights, SA/DA option, decocker and lack of manual safety. I like the high quality 15 and 20 round mags. Once you hold a Sig in your hand.....aah Zen.

image.jpg  

Old 05-28-2013, 02:47 PM   #10

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Neither one would make the"best" list in my book. But you need to figure out what is best for YOU. They are both fine guns. Just not something I would ever own.

Last edited by Olympus; 05-28-2013 at 02:49 PM.