Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Best 9mm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/best-9mm-91381/)

zackthatsit 05-28-2013 06:14 AM

Best 9mm

I'm looking to getting first handgun and have chosen the 9mm. Which would be the best all around semi auto. I've quickly chosen a Glock 19 and a m&p sd9ve but what's the best in your opinion

JW357 05-28-2013 06:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zackthatsit
I'm looking to getting first handgun and have chosen the 9mm. Which would be the best all around semi auto. I've quickly chosen a Glock 19 and a m&p sd9ve but what's the best in your opinion

It's all personal preference. Most of the major brands will more than likely perform as reliably as others.

Are you looking to conceal or target shooting? Thumb safety or not? Grip safety or not? Single stack, double stack, or staggered stack?

For what its worth, I use a S&W M&P9c and my wife uses the full size of the same gun.

I suggest going to a gun range and asking to hold different guns to get a feel for them. Rent as many as you can.

Sonic82 05-28-2013 06:23 AM

That's not an easy question unless you are more specific. For instance, a Beretta 92 is widely considered the standard for durability, reliability and parts availability, but it's a large heavy pistol and wouldn't be a good weapon to conceal and people with smaller hands don't care for it. So, we need more info here. How do you intend to use it?

...and the Beretta 92 is a DA/SA pistol which operates different from a Striker-Fired Glock so, you need to know what type of action you prefer.

therewolf 05-28-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sonic82 (Post 1260104)
That's not an easy question unless you are more specific. For instance, a Beretta 92 is widely considered the standard for durability, reliability and parts availability, but it's a large heavy pistol and wouldn't be a good weapon to conceal and people with smaller hands don't care for it. So, we need more info here. How do you intend to use it?

...and the Beretta 92 is a DA/SA pistol which operates different from a Striker-Fired Glock so, you need to know what type of action you prefer.

MMMMMMM! WISE he is.

To him should you listen!

apwvsd40ve 05-28-2013 11:07 AM

Zach,

I have the SW sd40ve and love it. Now, it is not an M&P its the step below but shots and feels like the M&P...except the trigger is a bit different. I do agree with the others....do you plan to carry, hd, target...its intended use would be a help to assist you further.

JohnJak 05-28-2013 11:13 AM

I would choose the one I was comfortable shooting with. That's just my logic.

purehavoc 05-28-2013 12:55 PM

The best one , is the one that feels best in your hand for you, not what others suggest . Go to a gun shop that has a indoor range and pick out a couple and shoot them . You will be more confident and be more accurate with a gun that feel best to you .

AR10 05-28-2013 12:58 PM

Well, you have picked the single most popular handgun round in the world today, that every single gun manufacturer makes several models to shoot. Models, sub models, barrel lengths, full size, compact, subcompact.

You have really narrowed down your choice.

Jagermeister 05-28-2013 01:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yep, you need to do research, make a list of what you want out of the gun, know your cost limitstions and test various guns. This can actually be fun. I chose the Sig Sauer P226r to meet my needs. It is sexy and a girl magnet;)

I actually chose it for the reliability, accuracy, quality, proof of battle worthiness, quick target acquisition sights, SA/DA option, decocker and lack of manual safety. I like the high quality 15 and 20 round mags. Once you hold a Sig in your hand.....aah Zen.

Olympus 05-28-2013 02:47 PM

Neither one would make the"best" list in my book. But you need to figure out what is best for YOU. They are both fine guns. Just not something I would ever own.