Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I'm a big fan of my Nighthawk Talon, with bushingless bull barrel and light rail. This is my go to gun for bump in the night things. I have an M3 light mounted on it and keep it in a Blade Tech holster.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-08-2009, 04:47 PM   #22

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nothing wrong with the basic 1911A1 platform. But if you want something better, go with a SIG P220 SAO.

Old 11-08-2009, 05:02 PM   #23

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
I have never used Glock, I have to recognize that I have a little byass against guns that explodes in your hands, although this probably has been solved by now. I think that Walther is a better gun than HK, and Sig even better. I don´t now about M&P, although looks pretty good, and I have no idea about the rest. Can you help?
It reads to me like you've answered your own question. My personal recommendation after considering your preferences would be the P220 Carry SAS.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 11-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #24

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

How do you figure the sig is BETTER than 1911s????? In my opinion it's different platform entirely but not "better".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
Nothing wrong with the basic 1911A1 platform. But if you want something better, go with a SIG P220 SAO.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-09-2009, 12:21 AM   #25
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 47 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
How do you figure the sig is BETTER than 1911s????? In my opinion it's different platform entirely but not "better".
I had to scratch my head on this one too. These are TOTALLY different platforms... I have a P345 Ruger and they aren't even remotely similar to a 1911, except the caliber.

That Sig P220 is closer to my P345 than it is to a 1911, for christsakes...

WTF????

Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 AM   #26

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Nighthawk will build you this,,,,,,,, if you ask nicely.

If something goes "bump in the night",
bump back.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:25 AM   #27

Our policy is double action only (DAO) So I switched from a custom Colt series 70 45 to a Para 7-45 LDA and added a full length recoil spring rod, better barrel bushing and Crimson Trace Laser Grips. Not only do I like the feel of the single stack better, but I could also use my laser grips. Crimson trace may have made a set of laser grips for Todd's Para 14-45 LDA, but its not available to the public. I understand that the FBI's hostage rescue team is carrying the Para 14-45, but I think it is the single action model. The North Carolina State Patrol just switched from Sigs to the S&W M&P 357 Sig. S&W engraved the state patrol's insignia on the top of the slides. I selected the M&P .40 S&W and might add a 357 sig barrel? A growing number of departments across the nation are going with the M&P, both in .40 S&W and 357 sig. My office, name and I.D.# are engraved on the side. I had a trigger job done, added an adjustable trigger, Crimson Trace laser grips and Novak adjustable fiber optic sights. (the fiber optic sights were a mistake because they disappear at night and 88% of times a handgun is needed is durring hours of darkness) Before you decide on a handgun, check out the S&W M&P. I'm going to have my Para slide milled for Truglo TFO sights and maybe the same with the M&P.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #28

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'd like to chime in on this one. I own a High Standard 1911 model. I paid $425 NIB for it and it shoots great. FMJ, hollow points, what have you. It is a very accurate .45. I'm not thrilled about the sights but everything else is quite good. Seems to feed all ammo with all mags; even the cheapy 7 or 8 rd mags I picked up for $6 at a gun show. I aree with everyone that you should decide what platform you like. You could go with a Glock, Bersa, Ruger, CZ etc. If you do want a 1911 type, the High Standard will save you some bucks and its a nice gun, in my experience.

Old 11-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #29

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ok, I’m going to put my 2 cents in on this. I love the 45 and have a "couple" in my gun safe. I love the 1911 and please don’t misunderstand me but my favorite for home defense, I emphasize, home defense are the following:

#1 – a Smith & Wesson 625, five inch (see picture 1). This revolver has the sweetest trigger pull of any revolver I have ever shot.

#2 – a Smith & Wesson 4516 compact. I carried this weapon for 8 years on duty and love the feel of it. It is a traditional double action and carries a standard 7 in the magazine and one in the tube. It is quite heavy for a concealed carry but is perfect for home defense IMO. (See picture 2).

I know a lot of people don’t particularly like S&W autos but I really love the 4516.

p1010386.jpg   p1010387.jpg  

Old 11-30-2009, 03:00 PM   #30

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
Thank you for your help. I have not been active for almost a decade. It was an honest question of what is going on the market nowdays. I guess I´ll buy a couple of magazines and find out.
Hell, ya don't need no stink'in gun mags, everything ya want to know is on this forum, with a little searching, friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post

I know a lot of people don’t particularly like S&W autos but I really love the 4516.
Blasphemy and horsepucky you say!!! There are more follower's than you might think sir!!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”