Best .45 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Best .45

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2009, 11:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

the 1911 is still pretty much the industry standard. however, the last time i shot .45s i was more accurate with the springfield xd.

but thats just me personally. you might like something else better.

you could always go to a range that rents guns and check a few different ones before you pick one to buy.

for the most part, i think any modern .45 will hit a person that's close enough to attack you so really any one would "work".

like the guy above said, it's really all about what you like personally.

Old 10-31-2009, 11:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
If you'd at least provided a price range, we could actually provide some suggestions - but you offered us nothing to work with. Sorry if you're offended but none of us are mystics and we can't read your mind...
Thanks NGIB, maybe my question was a little vague. I´ll start again. If I wanted to compete with the .45 I´ll probably buy an Infinity or a Sig. I just want something for close defense, then reliability will be the most important factor. I don´t want to waist my money but I don´t want to be cheap in this matter. I have never used Glock, I have to recognize that I have a little byass against guns that explodes in your hands, although this probably has been solved by now. I think that Walther is a better gun than HK, and Sig even better. I don´t now about M&P, although looks pretty good, and I have no idea about the rest. Can you help?

Old 10-31-2009, 01:32 PM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
Thanks NGIB, maybe my question was a little vague. I´ll start again. If I wanted to compete with the .45 I´ll probably buy an Infinity or a Sig. I just want something for close defense, then reliability will be the most important factor. I don´t want to waist my money but I don´t want to be cheap in this matter. I have never used Glock, I have to recognize that I have a little bias against guns that explodes in your hands, although this probably has been solved by now. I think that Walther is a better gun than HK, and Sig even better. I don´t now about M&P, although looks pretty good, and I have no idea about the rest. Can you help?
Go with a known brand name and spend no less than $500 and you'll be fine. If you want particulars then we need particulars.

What platform?
What price range?
What will it be used for?
Polymer or steel?

We could give you many many suggestions, but you'll have to see which one fits you best and which you think is the prettiest.

p.s. Glocks won't blow up in your face, they just give tango fits,lol.

Old 10-31-2009, 02:04 PM   #14

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
none of us are mystics and we can't read your mind...
Um. Actually... I am.

I promise not to tell everyone that you sing Kelly Clarkson at the top of your lungs while driving to and from the range.

oops.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #15

I have seen good reviews on the Rock Island .45. It appears to be a well made gun at a reasonable price.

Old 11-06-2009, 03:04 PM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sunseeker-you're wanting a compact subcompact or full size pistol? Is it going to be carried daily? Are you wanting polymer, lightweight, or all steel frame? The 1911 platform or other type of platform? I commend you for selecting the .45 as caliber-it's the same caliber as what I chose.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 11-06-2009, 04:01 PM   #17

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I'll go out on a limb and give 2 suggestions:

For a polymer .45, the XD Compact is a great gun. I own very, very few plastic guns - but I have one of these. Accurate, reliable, and it doesn't look like a Glock. It's compact (for a .45) and holds 10 rounds - and you can use the extended mags to increase capacity for a home defense gun. I'm not a real fan of the full-size XD .45 as the grip is just to long and unwieldly.

For a steel .45, a Rock Island Tactical (or Citadel, or Metro Arms). Basically one of the "upper" level 1911s made in the Philippines. These have dovetailed sights and enough of the bells & whistles to make it a decent package. I do not suggest a "GI" version as many folks buy one to cut costs and immediately throw money at them for better sights.

Either of these will be in the $500 range...

Old 11-06-2009, 06:03 PM   #18

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
"Being of the old school - the very old school - I wish to warn youthful readers against putting their faith in 'gun writers.' These people have a right to their opinions, but these opinions should not be taken as incontro-vertible. As a youth I was led astray on a number of subjects and had to learn of my errors by personal field experience. The fact that a man "has been there and done that" does not necessarily mean that he knows what he is talking about. Read as much as you wish, but read critically, and then submit your conclusions to the test. This is not always possible, so read carefully, read critically, and then reserve judgment. " Col. Jeff Cooper
.....and I've never seen a negative review of a handgun in any magazine...just my experience.

Old 11-07-2009, 03:56 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunseeker View Post
What will be the best .45 for home defense. Consider a standard grip. Thanks
a 1911!!

Old 11-07-2009, 10:25 PM   #20

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
.....and I've never seen a negative review of a handgun in any magazine...just my experience.
EXACTLY!!! Or even a book for that matter. I like Patrick Sweeney and have read most of his books (some twice), but he never really tells you which guns that were tested really sucked.

It's also hard to say: "You get what you pay for", because I have $500 guns that have never had a failure in thousands of rounds and I've had to send a $1000 gun back for adjustments after a few hundred.