Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > best 22 lr pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:04 PM   #31
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1731 Times on 943 Posts
Likes Given: 545

I have had a few Rugers, MK1,2 and 3. I have a MK3 22/45 Lite right now. I have also had a couple of Smiths,34 and 17. Several others but the favorite is the Sig Hamerli Trailside with an adjustable rear sight.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #32

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

When it comes to 22 auto loaders I"m a huge fan of the Ruger MK I-II-III pistols. The 22/45's are great as well. I think the Browning Buckmark pistols have a little better trigger out of the box and can be had at similar money as the Rugers.

Te Smith K22's are really good revolvers. I just love a Smith and Wesson trigger.
Ruger has a couple revolvers as well that do a pretty good job. I have yet to try the Single Ten but if it's anything like the other models out by Ruger it's the next best thing to a Smith if not as good.

Most all the bigger makers make a good 22. But, 22 autos can get a little picky what they want to eat. And every one of them can be different. I've seen three exactly the same Walthers that each likes different ammo. Some autos have tight springs than others and will like the hotter stuff. For me if it wont shoot Federal bulk I really don't want it. But to be honest I don't have much trouble form most the 22 pistols I've shot except in the cheaper ones. They seem to lean to the hotter ammo to work properly. Not to say they are a bad gun. They just work better with hotter/high velocity ammo. Many times this will change over time as springs and everything start to get some age on them. My love for the Buckmark and MK Rugers has much to do with the idea that they are accurate and will eat just about anything.

Mush like any other handgun we own feel has a lot to do with it. If it doesn't fit right then you probably will not shoot it right and then it is just a waste of money and ammo...Even if it is cheaper ammo. If you like the 1911 then the Ruger 22/45 is pretty much a must have with it's feel being very close to a 1911. THere are the Chiappa 1911-22's, they have the look and feel of a 1911. I own one of these and have had great luck with it. Customer reviews have not been the best that I've read but I have to say mine has been really good to me.
Sig Sauer and Browning make a 1911-22 as well. I've not shot the Browning but they look to be made well. The Sigs I like a lot. The GSG 1911-22's have mixed reviews as well but I've not seen one that does not shoot well.

I don't own a 22 revolver at the moment and I'm really starting to see it as a hole that needs filled. I'm really wanting a couple of the High Standard Double 9's. But I wouldn't balk on a Single ten or any of the other Ruger revos. The fall festivals begin in a couple/few months here in Ky so I reckon I'll get to looking to fill this gaping hole in my collection then.

Anyway, that's my take on 22 handguns. There's a lot mentioned so as I said it comes down to feel. If you get a Browning Buckmark or Ruger MK pistol there is also the Tactical Solutions option. Man those things are fantastic! I have a 9" Pac-Lite on a MKIII 22/45 grip that I would not trade for anything. It's scary accurate and good God it's light!!

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #33

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i do have some limited experiance with the Buckmark and from what i remember, they seemed pretty reliable and pretty danged accurate, but not cheap. the Rugers, pretty much any Ruger 22 pistol is pretty dang reliable and most are decently accurate. don't have any real experiance with the S & W 22a, so what i do know is that S & W does have a pretty good track record with most pistols though and i have had a few different S & W's over the years, so the 22a might be a safe bet.
The Camper model Buckmarks (5" bbl parkerized) come in around Ruger prices. But I've not seen as many of those as I used to. The slab side or fluted bbl models bring more money so that's what the shops have been having around here.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 06-29-2013, 01:18 AM   #34

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

When I got into shooting/collecting handguns,I figured a man only needed one 22cal.pistol.I find myself now shootin nine of these little buggers!I got (3)High Standards,but they can be finicky mainly cause of magazine problems.My (2) Brownings,always reliable.The Sig 1911,and the AMT Automag,unique.It are my (2) Rugers,a MK1 and Mark3 Hunter,that provide me with the most pleasure at the range,reliable,accurate,never a problem.

Old 06-29-2013, 02:27 AM   #35

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision
I know the browning and ruger are good. Anyone have any experience with the s&w 22a?
I have a 22a and I love it very accurate no problems with it
image-2130256215.jpg  

Old 06-29-2013, 02:34 AM   #36
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Right now the best 22LR pistol is the one owned by a person that had the foresight to keep plenty of ammo on hand. The rest aren't much better than a hammer.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 06-29-2013, 03:24 AM   #37

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
Right now the best 22LR pistol is the one owned by a person that had the foresight to keep plenty of ammo on hand. The rest aren't much better than a hammer.
I can get all the 22lr I want at my lgs now. They even took there 2box per customer limit away.

Old 06-29-2013, 03:31 AM   #38
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19944 Times on 11333 Posts
Likes Given: 50298

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
unfortunately my stock of 22 rimfire is very low at this time, but it was used for what i feel was a very good cause. my brother and i teaching his daughters how to shoot a 22 pistol. i let them burn up about 300 rounds of ammo and even though it depleted my 22 rimfire supply, even at a time when it was difficult to get, i have not one regret. my neices are learning to shoot and respect firearms. and they had a very good time and the smiles on their faces were worth more than any amount of ammo or money.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:52 PM   #39

Liked 216 Times on 143 Posts

Oddly enough I'm not really a 1911 guy, but I really enjoy shooting my 22/45. Very accurate little plinker.

image-1696789944.jpg

Edit: Only complaint is reassembly after cleaning is just slightly less difficult than splitting a frigin atom.

Last edited by FrontierTCB; 06-29-2013 at 06:55 PM.

Old 06-30-2013, 02:50 AM   #40

Liked 55 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision
Alright I know everyone has one or has fired one lets hear what issues you have had or if they worked flawlessly. GO!
S&W M&P 22. Never had any issues with it, i shoot weekly, had about 6 mnths, love it! Could shoot for hrs w/it.