Best 22 lr pistol
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Best 22 lr pistol

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2010, 10:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Best 22 lr pistol

Hey folks, new to the forum and new to shooting. I love it, I simply love it! Now as a rookie I have a long way to go and a lot to learn. I need a little help in selecting a 22 pistol to work on shooting, I think the verbage is a gun to plink with. I have a Ruger LCR and love it but it has a tough recoil issue and its getting expensive to shoot. So can you recommend a good 22 for me to shoot with. I have looked at a Ruger, S&W, and a Browning. There is good and bad about all three. Many of you own one of these so could you tell me why you like your gun. I know the Ruger is a bear to clean, that not in its favor since I am a rookie. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-04-2010, 10:51 PM   #2

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Using the words "best" and "gun" in your post title makes it a question that has no answer. What's best for me may not work for you at all and vice-versa. Answer a few questions and we can share our experiences. For example: What's your budget? Do you want plastic or steel? Revolver or semi-auto?

BTW, if you intend to hang around, pop over to the introductions area and tell us a little about yourself...

Old 04-04-2010, 10:55 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the stainless, fluted bull barreled Ruger 22/45 and love it.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I have a blued 6" Ruger Mark III Classic. I am having some issues with disassembly and reassembly right now. I expect to have no issues with it after I do it a few more times.

As far as the pistol itself, it's a hoot and I'm sorry I didn't buy one long ago.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #5

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I own a Ruger Mk III 22/45, and I love it. I have also shot a number of other Rugers, various models with differnt barrel lengths, and I loved them all. The disassembly is not like other guns, and that is a bit of a pain. But they are a blast to shoot.

I know a couple of people with S&W .22 autos. They are both of the lower-end variety. They both have occasional feed issues. It doesn't happen all that often, but it's a personal preference how often you are willing to let that happen before you choose something else. For me, though, they are still a lot of fun.

Can't speak about the higher-end S&Ws or the Browning Buckmark.

The .22 is a great learning platform. It's also great for "continuing education" and cheap shooting fun. I've been shooting for around 40 years, and I take a .22 with me on nearly every range outing. It's a cheap way to maintain fundamentals, and it's a lot of fun. I'll shoot something else as well, but then I don't need to use up a lot of the more expensive ammo to get all my practice in.

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 04-05-2010, 01:15 AM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10759 Times on 4657 Posts
Likes Given: 1755

For the money, hard to beat a Ruger Mk III. There are folks that love their S&Ws, Colt Woodsman, Browning Buckmark, High Standards, etc ad infinitum. As far as the assembly problems with the Rugers, learn how to do it ONCE, and you can do it in 3 seconds.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:20 AM   #7

If you are looking to improve your skills shooting your lcr while shooting a different (cheaper ammo) gun, maybe you should consider a double action revolver in 22. Just an idea.
If you want an auto, I highly recommend the Browning Buckmarks. I also have a 22/45. It is a very nice little gun for someone who is trying to simulate the 1911 feel. The Ruger is a pain to reassemble after cleaning. This is the only reason I like the Browning a little better.

Old 04-05-2010, 01:43 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6791 Times on 3610 Posts
Likes Given: 506

i have a ruger mkII out fo the list you gave. i realllllly like shooting it and find it to be one of the easier weapons i have to clean. once you get the hang of the takedown and assembly its a snap to clean. its not the only 22 pistol i have but its one of the better ones.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:41 AM   #9

I think you would be happy with either the Browning or Ruger. Both do their intended jobs very well. And either will be a good tool to use in learning the fundamentals of pistol marksmanship. The skills you learn with a .22 will transfer over to more serious calibers.

Do a Google on Army Marksmanship Training Uinit Manual and download it. It will discuss each element in the fundamentals, and if you are an apt pupil, you will be hitting golf balls at 25 yards in a short time. You'll do even better if you can find a qualified coach.

Plinking is a ton of fun, but use it as a reward after you've put in an hour of work at a paper target. If you don't learn the elements of good marksmanship, you will simply teach yourself a lot of bad habits, the worst of which are flinching and jerking the trigger.

But don't put off buying that .22. You will love it.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:43 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Another vote for the browning buckmark.