Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Best .22 fun gun, less than $150? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/best-22-fun-gun-less-than-150-a-77004/)

bsdavis4296 11-24-2012 08:25 PM

Best .22 fun gun, less than $150?
 
I'm looking for something to have fun with. I prefer it to be an automatic, but it can be a revolver. It needs to be reliable, I can up the cost, but I'm tight on money.

Thanks.

jjfuller1 11-24-2012 09:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdavis4296 (Post 1025580)
I'm looking for something to have fun with. I prefer it to be an automatic, but it can be a revolver. It needs to be reliable, I can up the cost, but I'm tight on money.

Thanks.

being as this is in the handgun section i guess you want a pistol. sometimes you can find deals at pawn shops, auctions, or LGS's on a used H&R revolver. but really you wont find much for that budget. now if you can up it to around 300. you can find used pistols that will probly have wear but still function good for plinking. if you up it to 350, or 400. you can away with almost any .22 pistol used or new.

browning, and ruger are the kings in .22
you can alos look at sigs, smiths and h&r's for fun guns. there are really just to many good .22's to pick from. go hold a bunch and see what you like

Axxe55 11-24-2012 09:54 PM

i agree, that $150 budget really limits to what you will find and most likely will have to be used. $150 buying new isn't going to get you much in the way of quallity. just have to hit the gun stores and pawn shops and see what's available in that price range. good luck.

SSGN_Doc 11-25-2012 02:55 AM

SAve up your money longer and get a quality .22 that you can enjoy for years.

Axxe55 11-25-2012 03:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1025989)
SAve up your money longer and get a quality .22 that you can enjoy for years.

i have to agree with this. the money spent on a quality firearm is money well spent. a qaulity firearm will last many years if taken care of and will also be many years of enjoyment.

BeyondTheBox 11-25-2012 03:25 AM

The only one I'd recommend at that price is the Jimenez JA22, it's a fine quality pistol. The Phoenix has issues that need fixing in order to get them functioning properly and is not just mine, almost every one of them. The problem is, also, that the 22lr cartridge, being rimfire, simply isn't a reliable round. So to cheap out on the handgun you're going to fire these already put quality rounds through its a bad idea. I have two JA22s and a Phoenix HP22A, both JAs are solid worth not a single failure where the Phoenix has fewer mags without failures than it does with, by a large margin.

bsdavis4296 11-25-2012 04:29 AM

Ok, I can up my price range to~ $250, no problem! I just want something basic to shoot in my back yard, so I'm not looking for greatness, just something that isn't crappy, that isn't bad. Im more on the long guns than anything. What Rugers, or Brownings would you guys recommend? I'm not really looking for reliability, i have 9mms and a shotgun for home and self defense, I just want to shoot this into coke cans at 25 yards.

In other words, Im looking for the basic stuff, so that's why I want to get out so cheap, but like you guys said, if there's nothing that cheap (I based my price off of Hi-Point 9mm) I can up. With Hi-Point making a nice gun at that price in 9, I figured somebody would figure out how to make a .22 for that price.

BeyondTheBox 11-25-2012 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bsdavis4296
Ok, I can up my price range to~ $250, no problem! I just want something basic to shoot in my back yard, so I'm not looking for greatness, just something that isn't crappy, that isn't bad. Im more on the long guns than anything. What Rugers, or Brownings would you guys recommend? I'm not really looking for reliability, i have 9mms and a shotgun for home and self defense, I just want to shoot this into coke cans at 25 yards.

In other words, Im looking for the basic stuff, so that's why I want to get out so cheap, but like you guys said, if there's nothing that cheap (I based my price off of Hi-Point 9mm) I can up. With Hi-Point making a nice gun at that price in 9, I figured somebody would figure out how to make a .22 for that price.

Even in that range I'd still go with the Jimenez. Might find a well used Ruger 22/45 for that. I'm not at all into Revolvers so I have no suggestions there. Though Ruger makes good ones from what I read and hear.

I'd do the Heritage rough rider, think that's what it's called. 22 convertible, lr and mag.

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/87944/heritage_arms_6_round_case_hardened_blue_22lr22_ma g_revolve

bsdavis4296 11-25-2012 06:01 AM

Im looking at the rough rider, as the gentleman above me mentioned.

Also, I am looking at the Beretta neos, I think another user mentioned it as well.

What else?

robertusa123 11-25-2012 01:07 PM

cheep, heavey and ugley. your looking for a phoenix arms hp22

its a all medal 22lr semi auto handgun. you can find them brand new for 150 and at most pawn shops used for around 100

http://www.phoenix-arms.com/Products/HP22A.html


check out this review its very thouro


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:51 PM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.