Bersa guns are too often overlooked
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Bersa guns are too often overlooked

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Default Bersa guns are too often overlooked

I have owned quite a few handguns over the years. But my two favorites are the ones I own now. A Bersa Thunder .380 and a Thunder .32 both of which I carry at different times.

These guns are dependable, accurate and easily concealable. They are easy to break down and clean. Another nice thing is that I can use the same holsters for both guns. There are lasers available for them and also some excellent custom wood grips from Marschalgrips.com which I have on the .380 and they look great and give me a comfortable grip while shooting.

Bersa also makes guns in .22, 9mm, .40 and .45

Do check them out sometime, because they also come at affordable prices.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 559 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 174

I agree with you 100%. I have 3 Bersas and they are all great guns. I have seen many posts from people asking what is a good handgun to buy and I always recommend Bersa. The majority of the time the post is ignored. No one says anything bad about them, but they aren't "sexy" enough. The name isn't big enough. If it's not some more expensive gun, then people will not give them much consideration. I'll keep spreading the word about them and I hope you do too. good luck

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 07-31-2013, 12:41 PM   #3

Liked 125 Times on 90 Posts
Likes Given: 63

My Thunder 380 is my carry gun and I trust it. My Thunder 22 is fun for target shooting.

Old 07-31-2013, 12:53 PM   #4
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1335 Times on 699 Posts
Likes Given: 612

Bersa was started in the 50s by three Italian engineers that got their training at Beretta in Italy. They built guns for the Argentine Military under contract for years. They are well-designed, well-built guns that have old-World quality. There biggest problem is that they don't change their designs for the newer, sexier market and experiment with new technologies while releasing a new model every year. That is also the reason there prices are still a couple of decades behind as well.

For a tough, reliable old-school firearm inspired by Beretta for a good price, Bersa really can't be beat.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

People Like This 
Old 07-31-2013, 01:21 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2014 Times on 1383 Posts
Likes Given: 766

I was going to buy a Bersa Pro pistol. I ended up with a Ruger P95. Even the 380 thunder is a pretty large pistol compared to other offerings on the market. I was interested in a Thunder Pro. It weighs more than a P95 and finding accessories for it are a PITA. The P95 is a good shooting gun. It is my favorite IDPA pistol and there is a mind boggling number of holsters for it. I can find magazines for it. Even, right now, I can find Mec Gar magazines for the P95 from 10 shots to 32 shots.

I am not saying the Bersa is a bad pistol. I sure wouldn't feel outgunned if I had to defend myself with a Bersa. I just prefer a 9mm in a full size gun. Compared to a LCP or a P-3AT the Bersa is a tank. My Kel Tec P11 is lighter than a Thunder 380.

The Bersa line of pistols are great price point pistols but for some reason they just don't catch on. It's not the design. The 1911 hasn't had many updates since 1911. It's not the lack of a new model. Bersa just doesn't market the pistol as well as other gun makers.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 07-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #6

Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

That is true, Bersa does not do much marketing. They let people who buy Bersa guns spread the word. It must work or Bersa would not be in business. I believe the Bersa Thunder Pro 9mm is one excellent full size gun. As for the size of the Bersa Thunder .380 it is a Walther PPK clone.
Thin and easy to conceal in a shoulder holster or IWB holster. I don't consider the Thunder .380 as large, it weighs 20 ounces and is larger than the LCP but it is thin and conceals well, to me it gives you the feel of a real gun in your hand while not being too large. Some people say the Bersa is not a sexy gun, well neither is the Ruger P95. But the Bersa like the P95 is very reliable and accurate. I like that the Bersa guns except for the BP9cc are all metal guns. Poly guns are not bad but I like a metal gun with nice wood grips.
For people who desire flash looking guns I guess Bersa is to boring. But I see nothing wrong with the way they look, and they are made well. Plus the price is very reasonable. A great combination. All I know is that when I pull the trigger they always go bang and like I say with custom wood grips they look pretty nice too. If you insist on spending a lot of money for a certain look to a gun or a well-known name, fine, but if you simply want a good dependable, accurate gun that will defend you, look at the Bersa guns.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:21 PM   #7

Liked 78 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Yelp. I find that while Bersa may not be the lightest, compared to the Polymer Guns of Today, and I myself like some heft in my hand, they are built with quality and don't tear up your Hand with the recoil. My Wife likes the Thunder DLX 380 I got her.

Old 07-31-2013, 05:23 PM   #8

Liked 2376 Times on 1392 Posts
Likes Given: 532

Bersas are pretty high on my list of guns I recommend to people on a budget in search of a reliable pistol.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

I own a Bersa Thunder 22. We've put around 2500 or so rounds through it. We had to replace the extractor recently, but it was covered under warranty.

I've found that, like a lot of other 22 semis, it likes certain types of ammo better.

The only thing I don't like about the gun anymore is the angle it naturally points at when I extend it in my hand. I find myself having to raise the barrel slightly, from my natural stance, in order to get proper sight picture. I only noticed it recently because my M&P feels so amazing in my hand. But really, that's not a big deal. I can deal with it since its a 22 and just for plinking purposes.

Always have clean socks.

Old 07-31-2013, 09:28 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
I was going to buy a Bersa Pro pistol. I ended up with a Ruger P95. Even the 380 thunder is a pretty large pistol compared to other offerings on the market. I was interested in a Thunder Pro. It weighs more than a P95 and finding accessories for it are a PITA. The P95 is a good shooting gun. It is my favorite IDPA pistol and there is a mind boggling number of holsters for it. I can find magazines for it. Even, right now, I can find Mec Gar magazines for the P95 from 10 shots to 32 shots.

I am not saying the Bersa is a bad pistol. I sure wouldn't feel outgunned if I had to defend myself with a Bersa. I just prefer a 9mm in a full size gun. Compared to a LCP or a P-3AT the Bersa is a tank. My Kel Tec P11 is lighter than a Thunder 380.

The Bersa line of pistols are great price point pistols but for some reason they just don't catch on. It's not the design. The 1911 hasn't had many updates since 1911. It's not the lack of a new model. Bersa just doesn't market the pistol as well as other gun makers.
I have the Bersa Thunder 9 UCP. It is semi-compact 9mm with a 13+1 capacity; I love it. There is a full-sized Thunder 9; take a look at it; it is used by the some military in South America.

One day, I will pick up another Bersa Thunder380; my sister has my previous one. It is a great pistol.

I haven't had need of the internal lock, but I can see how person with kids could find it helpful.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.