Beretta M9 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Beretta M9

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
If the military abandons the M-9 weapons systems, I suspect that it is much more likely that there will be a great melt-down than a surplus sale.
That's what I'm scared of too. Maybe a few will fall through the cracks. Wishful thinking.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #12

Liked 622 Times on 332 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire
If the military abandons the M-9 weapons systems, I suspect that it is much more likely that there will be a great melt-down than a surplus sale.
More than likely. But wouldn't it be great if you walk in to LGS and they have the M9's lined up like Mosin's !!!!!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter

They're available for civilians as well. I drool a little every time I see a pic of one. Still waiting for LGS to get one
Haha!! Yes they are absolutely gorgeous!! Make you slack in the jaw kind of pretty!!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter

More than likely. But wouldn't it be great if you walk in to LGS and they have the M9's lined up like Mosin's !!!!!
That is exactly what I'm hoping for!! Just stacks and stacks of M9's!! I would be giddy as a school girl!!

Old 07-29-2013, 11:14 PM   #15

Liked 9217 Times on 5060 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Select units of the Marine Corp is switching to colt 1911's
Select units are replacing their aging armory of mix matched 1911's that are broken and rebuilt so many times they've lost count, with new Colt's. Nothing has changed in those particular unit TO&E's except that the guns will now be new, slides and frames will actually match, and there are some stock upgrades over their old broken down armament. These are the same units that never STOPPED carrying the M1911, such as Force Recon and other social operations and billets. No different than when the entire Corps went from the A2 to A4 and now the M4whatevertheycallitA1A2A3orwhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Yup. Even though the Fed gov can recoup a lot of money by selling them at surplus, and even though it's already available on the civilian market, they NEVER would.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:28 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3734 Times on 2287 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Yup. Even though the Fed gov can recoup a lot of money by selling them at surplus, and even though it's already available on the civilian market, they NEVER would.
As much as I hate it, I agree.

We can hope, though.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:32 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post

As much as I hate it, I agree.

We can hope, though.
I honestly would rather have the broken down 1911's that are being replaced. Mostly for experimentation purposes, and because an M9 is absolutely useless to me. Can't get my hands around it well enough to hold it. I shot expert with it, but I had to readjust my grip every other shot.

Old 07-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Also, I have heard talk for sometime of the military trying to replace this or that weapon system. With current budgetary constraints, I imagine it would be difficult to do.

It would be an interesting wrench thrown into the mindset of a person who thinks the reason to carry a 9mm for self defense is because the military currently uses 9mm, if they switched to a different caliber again for whatever reason.

It should show people: the military doesn't choose a caliber because it is the end-all, be-all for calibers. They choose the ones they do because of cost reasons, as well as other things. Stopping power usually isn't even on the radar. If it were, people would be trying to do away with the whole no hollow points rule in warfare from the Geneva Convention. Oh you're willing me 9mm ball is the best choice for stopping power? Psh.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:00 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JW357 View Post
Also, I have heard talk for sometime of the military trying to replace this or that weapon system. With current budgetary constraints, I imagine it would be difficult to do.
Did you hear about the most recent fiasco with weapons trials? Congress made the army appropriations committee look at new rifles, and they told congress they didn't need or want new rifles at the moment. Congress said, "do it anyway".

Basically, for the trials, they just set the bar too high, and didn't even tell the manufacturers some of their requirements. Never mind the fact that most of them were just new iterations of the same ol' same ol' stoner based design.

I suspect for the military in whole to adopt an entirely new platform, it will have to be something truly earth shattering and groundbreaking.

Just another example of the unintended consequence of the GCA. It's stagnated weapons development. JMB designed some of his innovations on his kitchen table, and built prototypes in his garage in his spare time. Try doing that now and just pray your future cell mate don't think you're pretty.

Old 07-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286

Did you hear about the most recent fiasco with weapons trials? Congress made the army appropriations committee look at new rifles, and they told congress they didn't need or want new rifles at the moment. Congress said, "do it anyway".

Basically, for the trials, they just set the bar too high, and didn't even tell the manufacturers some of their requirements. Never mind the fact that most of them were just new iterations of the same ol' same ol' stoner based design.

I suspect for the military in whole to adopt an entirely new platform, it will have to be something truly earth shattering and groundbreaking.

Just another example of the unintended consequence of the GCA. It's stagnated weapons development. JMB designed some of his innovations on his kitchen table, and built prototypes in his garage in his spare time. Try doing that now and just pray your future cell mate don't think you're pretty.
Haven't heard about that in particular. But I do hear every so often about new projects this, or developments that.

What you said doesn't really surprise me. The government has reached expert level in terms of wasting money and trying to justify it.