Beretta 96fs, is it any good? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Beretta 96fs, is it any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2012, 03:09 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 341 Times on 237 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recomm View Post
For the price you can get a much more reliable weapon than a beretta of any kind. The military uses beretta but those contracts are awarded to the lowest and cheapest bidder ie beretta. I carried one for 3 years for the marine corps and I've gotta say once they gave me a 1911 I nearly creamed myself.
That is not completely true. Guns go thru a testing process and the price is not the end result. The military isn't going to put a weapon in duty that doesn't work. The 92FS has had a good record in service, as good as any pistol. It just comes down to personal preference some people like it some want something else, what else is new. Don't feel bad about the 92FS with what you read in a forum, go shoot the gun and make your own mind up.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #22

Liked 233 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flat Tire View Post
That is not completely true. Guns go thru a testing process and the price is not the end result. The military isn't going to put a weapon in duty that doesn't work. The 92FS has had a good record in service, as good as any pistol. It just comes down to personal preference some people like it some want something else, what else is new. Don't feel bad about the 92FS with what you read in a forum, go shoot the gun and make your own mind up.
I learned long ago not to listen to certain opinions on forums, I find many more people are happy with their beretta pistols than not, and those who are not are usually complaining about the fat grip, not the function of the pistol, the beretta fits my hand just fine, and as for the 1911 I also like them and it will be my next handgun purchase when I find the one I want, I don't know why some people have to bash one kind of gun just because they prefer another, they are all good in their own way, except for the cheap pieces of crap of course, and even those go bang more often than not so they are capable of doing their job as well. It's like me saying I drive a Ford, so every other truck on the market is a big steaming pile of crap, this would be a false statement as well.

Old 02-27-2012, 04:48 PM   #23

This is a model 920 double stack double action 9mm. I've had it awhile and only carry it when I'm scouting or exploring the mountians. It is strickly for protection and not to good for target shooting, but I have probably put several hundred rounds through it and it has been lost in the mountains one weekend and I found it 2 weeks later. I just stripped and cleaned it and that's been several years ago. It shoots good and has never had any problems.
006.jpg  

Last edited by chewchew; 02-27-2012 at 04:51 PM. Reason: spell check

Old 02-27-2012, 04:53 PM   #24

Liked 233 Times on 149 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Quote:
Originally Posted by chewchew View Post
This is a model 920 double stack double action 9mm. I've had it awhile and only carry it when I'm scouting or exploring the mountians. It is strickly for protection and not to good for target shooting, but I have probably put several hundred rounds through it and it has been lost in the mountains one weekend and I found it 2 weeks later. I just stripped and cleaned it and that's been several years ago. It shoots good and has never had any problems.
You were lucky to find it, I'm afraid my luck wouldn't be so good in that case. Good to know it's been a reliable unit for you, hopefully my 96A1 will provide the same service

Old 02-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
You were lucky to find it, I'm afraid my luck wouldn't be so good in that case. Good to know it's been a reliable unit for you, hopefully my 96A1 will provide the same service
I lost a brand new $300.00 black and tan coon dog that same weekend and never found him. It was on a steep mountain in the Blue ridge reserve in north Ga.

Last edited by chewchew; 02-27-2012 at 05:02 PM. Reason: spellcheck

Old 02-27-2012, 06:01 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I learned long ago not to listen to certain opinions on forums, I find many more people are happy with their beretta pistols than not, and those who are not are usually complaining about the fat grip, not the function of the pistol, the beretta fits my hand just fine, and as for the 1911 I also like them and it will be my next handgun purchase when I find the one I want, I don't know why some people have to bash one kind of gun just because they prefer another, they are all good in their own way, except for the cheap pieces of crap of course, and even those go bang more often than not so they are capable of doing their job as well. It's like me saying I drive a Ford, so every other truck on the market is a big steaming pile of crap, this would be a false statement as well.
I am looking for a used one. There are so many out there sooner or later one will pop up and I will get a good deal. I almost bought one in stainless but it was never cleaned. So I will keep looking.

Old 02-27-2012, 09:51 PM   #27

Liked 1341 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Quote:
I am looking for a used one. There are so many out there sooner or later one will pop up and I will get a good deal. I almost bought one in stainless but it was never cleaned. So I will keep looking.
So what? If it were in otherwise good shape, I'd use that to chisel the price. How much was it?

Old 02-27-2012, 10:02 PM   #28

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Love my 92fs. Got it used but it was next to a new one had a newer serial number and I could not tell a difference at all.

Love it as a range / HD / zombie gun. I actually ccw it when I'm gonna wear a jacket all day in a safariland leather owb high ride.

However if I were going to go . 40 Cal I would go with the storm and the rotating barrel. But that's just me.

No sexier gun than Beretta 92/96

Old 02-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
So what? If it were in otherwise good shape, I'd use that to chisel the price. How much was it?
The guy just wanted too much. I would rather wait and find a new looking gun for $400 and keep it a year and sell it for $500. Guns have always made me easy money if you know what you are looking at. Why invest in a gun that hasn't been cared for when so many people never shoot their guns. There is always a like new gun in the paper.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #30

Liked 144 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 767

I bought a 96 a year or so ago from a local gun shop for $325.00 w/night sights...the pistol was about 10 years old when i bought it.I've put about 700rds through it with no probs untill i installed a recoil buffer.Dang thing is a jam-o-matic with that Black Jack buffer

check gunbroker.com for parts for the pistol also...i've heard the locking blocks are the weak links in these pistols,i havent had any probs out of mine,but it was nice to find a lightly used one on Gbroker.com for dirt cheap!! unlike the price for a new block

happy hunting & good luck on a good deal!!!!