Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Beretta 96fs, is it any good? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/beretta-96fs-any-good-45961/)

blucoondawg 07-29-2011 09:53 PM

Beretta 96fs, is it any good?

I was just shopping around for handguns today, and I was looking at the Beretta 96fs at Gander Mountain, I liked the feel and being that it has a ambi decock safety and interchangeable mag release i like the concept, but it is 700 bucks before tax and background check, I am wondering if this is a reliable gun as I am assuming it is pretty much the same thing as the 92fs modified to take the 40s&w. Anyone have any experience with them or heard any stories of them failing due to the bigger load they are chambered for?

ninjatoth 07-29-2011 10:19 PM

My friend has one and I have fired it a few times with no issues,and as far as I know it's just as reliable as his 92 compact he has also,he would have told me by now if it ever had issues.

rifleman1 07-29-2011 10:24 PM

go on youtube and watch the review videos pretty helpful.....

DoyleTheDog 08-03-2011 05:20 PM

I bought a Beretta 92fs from Gander Mountain a while back, but mine is chambered in 9mm. That is probably my most accurate handgun... However, 700 before tax is pretty steep if you ask me. I suppose it's because it's chambered in 40s&w, but I'd shop around a little if I were you.

Recomm 08-03-2011 07:52 PM

For the price you can get a much more reliable weapon than a beretta of any kind. The military uses beretta but those contracts are awarded to the lowest and cheapest bidder ie beretta. I carried one for 3 years for the marine corps and I've gotta say once they gave me a 1911 I nearly creamed myself.

orangello 08-03-2011 07:59 PM

That seems like a lot. :confused: Would you consider a traded in model at a pawn shop; i bet you could save a ton. http://www.jgsales.com/product_info.php/handguns/beretta/p/beretta-px4f-storm%2C-40s-w%2C-4in-barrel-very-good-condition-/cPath/16_153/products_id/4694 J&G has a Storm in .40 for $430ish.

Honestly, Gander Mountain is pretty, but their handgun prices always seem high here, especially on used firearms. I would at least check the price for a similar model with Buds Gun Shop online.

trex1310 08-04-2011 02:10 AM

The Berettas I have owned and the ones I still own have all been high
quality, accurate and reliable firearms.

blucoondawg 08-05-2011 12:35 AM

Yes, I know Gander Mountain has ridiculous prices, I just use them as a place to look at different models when I'm able to stop there, I wouldn't ever buy something from them. It seems the model they had at Gander is some type of special edition or Gander Mountain exclusive in the 2 tone design, it isn't listed on the Beretta website and none of the other shops I've asked about it can even find it in their books or online. As far as pawn shops go, that is where I ended up going, we have a fairly new shop in the area as of the last few years, but they are not only a pawn shop, they are also a new gun dealer with a fair selection of reloading and other gun supplies, and they are willing to get other stuff they don't currently have if there is a call for it, its called Hodag Gun and Pawn in Rhinelander WI. Anyways I found a 96A1 there which was used but only fired a couple times, a police officer bought it then traded it in on something different, so I currently have it on layaway. I would have bought it outright but I'm slightly short of funds since I just purchased a GP100 357 a few days ago, lol.

orangello 08-05-2011 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blucoondawg (Post 556165)
...I just purchased a GP100 357 a few days ago, lol.

Excellent choice! I love my GP100 for target plinking.

sweeper22 08-05-2011 04:52 AM

With the Beretta M9/92/96, "function" is rarely a problem. They're good guns.

The issue is their rather bulky "fit". But by the sound of things, you already like the fit...so it'd probably be a good option for you.