Beretta 92fs Caught in the Storm
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Beretta 92fs Caught in the Storm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beretta 92fs Caught in the Storm

I forgot all about my gun when I had to leave my house because of Hurricane Sandy. My gun was under the bed and when I got back to my house two days later it was soaked in water and it was saltwater mixed with whatever else. Any way I disassembled the gun dried it off sprayed it with ballistol, clean the barrel with hoppes # 9 solvent, used Hoppes oil. I then sprayed the entire gun again the ballistol. A couple of days later I repeated the cleaning.

Will it be okay to shoot?

Ruger Target .22
Springfield Armory XDM .45 5.25
Beretta 92FS

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-28-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21987 Times on 12397 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootersandw View Post
I forgot all about my gun when I had to leave my house because of Hurricane Sandy. My gun was under the bed and when I got back to my house two days later it was soaked in water and it was saltwater mixed with whatever else. Any way I disassembled the gun dried it off sprayed it with ballistol, clean the barrel with hoppes # 9 solvent, used Hoppes oil. I then sprayed the entire gun again the ballistol. A couple of days later I repeated the cleaning.

should be if it looks okay. might have a gunsmith check it out just to be on the safe side.

Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I have seen the effects of salt water on guns during Katrina recovery. Most we found, and we found dozens were rusted beyond hope two weeks after the event. Hopefully you got the needed tlc to them in time.

NEVER FORGET

Old 11-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #4

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6shootersandw View Post

Might want to think about getting it stripped down to the frame and having all the screws, springs, barrel, trigger, etc cleaned in an ultrasonic tank. Salt water can be a real bitch on metal and it may not be evident today or tomorrow but you don't want to have a spring fail at an inopportune moment.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 11-28-2012, 02:07 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5922 Times on 3092 Posts
Likes Given: 417

should be fine if totally detail stripped, run through a parts washer or sonic tank or some sort of process like that. 2 days isnt all that much if it was submerged for a day or two kinda like being in the rain that long. not unheard of in wartime. if you get it all cleaned after a detail strip an reoiled should be good to go

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-28-2012, 02:18 AM   #6

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Gee, ifin it had been a Gaston you'd have no problem!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 11-28-2012 at 02:28 AM.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:30 AM   #7

Liked 263 Times on 163 Posts
Likes Given: 21

A few years ago I examined a shotgun thatn had been underwater as a result of a hurricane in Louisiana. The gun had an aluminum magazine follower, and some reaction with the saltwater had "welded" the follower to the steel magazine tube. Otherwise the gun was thoroughly cleaned and oiled withn no further harm. It was shot as a single shot pump shotgun for the rest of its service.

Bob Wright

Old 11-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #8

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
A few years ago I examined a shotgun thatn had been underwater as a result of a hurricane in Louisiana. The gun had an aluminum magazine follower, and some reaction with the saltwater had "welded" the follower to the steel magazine tube. Otherwise the gun was thoroughly cleaned and oiled withn no further harm. It was shot as a single shot pump shotgun for the rest of its service.

Bob Wright
What was witnessed is known as galvanic corrosion where the salt water acting as an electrolyte creates a reaction between the dissimilar metals, i.e. steel and aluminum. The welding together is actually the movement of the aluminum atoms towards the steel through the water.

This can occur in many seemingly common household situations. Try storing a salty food in a steel pan or pot covered with aluminum foil...wherever the foil touches the food it will corrode. This is also a reason not to use a lubricant such as graphite on an AR barrel nut...the steel nut on the aluminum receiver threads will seize solid...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Sonic82 Likes This 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I went shooting today and I had the guy at the range look at it. Everything went perfect. It shot perfect and I went home and cleaned it for an hour and it looks brand new. Beretta can take a beating.

Ruger Target .22
Springfield Armory XDM .45 5.25
Beretta 92FS

People Like This 
Old 11-28-2012, 08:24 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I'm glad it survived!

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post
Gee, ifin it had been a Gaston you'd have no problem!
Yup, cause turds float.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

kfox75 Likes This