Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Beretta 92fs Caught in the Storm (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/beretta-92fs-caught-storm-77260/)

6shootersandw 11-28-2012 12:30 AM

Beretta 92fs Caught in the Storm

I forgot all about my gun when I had to leave my house because of Hurricane Sandy. My gun was under the bed and when I got back to my house two days later it was soaked in water and it was saltwater mixed with whatever else. Any way I disassembled the gun dried it off sprayed it with ballistol, clean the barrel with hoppes # 9 solvent, used Hoppes oil. I then sprayed the entire gun again the ballistol. A couple of days later I repeated the cleaning.

Will it be okay to shoot?

Axxe55 11-28-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6shootersandw (Post 1029808)
I forgot all about my gun when I had to leave my house because of Hurricane Sandy. My gun was under the bed and when I got back to my house two days later it was soaked in water and it was saltwater mixed with whatever else. Any way I disassembled the gun dried it off sprayed it with ballistol, clean the barrel with hoppes # 9 solvent, used Hoppes oil. I then sprayed the entire gun again the ballistol. A couple of days later I repeated the cleaning.

should be if it looks okay. might have a gunsmith check it out just to be on the safe side.

downsouth 11-28-2012 12:43 AM

I have seen the effects of salt water on guns during Katrina recovery. Most we found, and we found dozens were rusted beyond hope two weeks after the event. Hopefully you got the needed tlc to them in time.

Jpyle 11-28-2012 12:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6shootersandw (Post 1029808)

Might want to think about getting it stripped down to the frame and having all the screws, springs, barrel, trigger, etc cleaned in an ultrasonic tank. Salt water can be a real bitch on metal and it may not be evident today or tomorrow but you don't want to have a spring fail at an inopportune moment.

JonM 11-28-2012 01:07 AM

should be fine if totally detail stripped, run through a parts washer or sonic tank or some sort of process like that. 2 days isnt all that much if it was submerged for a day or two kinda like being in the rain that long. not unheard of in wartime. if you get it all cleaned after a detail strip an reoiled should be good to go

canebrake 11-28-2012 01:18 AM

Gee, ifin it had been a Gaston you'd have no problem!

Bob Wright 11-28-2012 01:30 AM

A few years ago I examined a shotgun thatn had been underwater as a result of a hurricane in Louisiana. The gun had an aluminum magazine follower, and some reaction with the saltwater had "welded" the follower to the steel magazine tube. Otherwise the gun was thoroughly cleaned and oiled withn no further harm. It was shot as a single shot pump shotgun for the rest of its service.

Bob Wright

Jpyle 11-28-2012 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Wright (Post 1029931)
A few years ago I examined a shotgun thatn had been underwater as a result of a hurricane in Louisiana. The gun had an aluminum magazine follower, and some reaction with the saltwater had "welded" the follower to the steel magazine tube. Otherwise the gun was thoroughly cleaned and oiled withn no further harm. It was shot as a single shot pump shotgun for the rest of its service.

Bob Wright

What was witnessed is known as galvanic corrosion where the salt water acting as an electrolyte creates a reaction between the dissimilar metals, i.e. steel and aluminum. The welding together is actually the movement of the aluminum atoms towards the steel through the water.

This can occur in many seemingly common household situations. Try storing a salty food in a steel pan or pot covered with aluminum foil...wherever the foil touches the food it will corrode. This is also a reason not to use a lubricant such as graphite on an AR barrel nut...the steel nut on the aluminum receiver threads will seize solid...

6shootersandw 11-28-2012 07:21 PM

I went shooting today and I had the guy at the range look at it. Everything went perfect. It shot perfect and I went home and cleaned it for an hour and it looks brand new. Beretta can take a beating.

orangello 11-28-2012 07:24 PM

I'm glad it survived!

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake (Post 1029902)
Gee, ifin it had been a Gaston you'd have no problem!

Yup, cause turds float. :p