Beretta 92FS
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Beretta 92FS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 50 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Beretta 92FS

Have you ever G.A.S.'d for a gun because you saw it in a movie? Mel Gibson turned me into an idiot. I thought that gun was just the King of Cool when I first saw it. I've wanted one ever since.

My friend is visiting this weekend, and he brought his, and we may have time to shoot today but don't know yet. But I got it in my hand and boy did it feel comfortable. Just the right size for me, it seemed. Or am I just hoping it will be the right one because of that stupid movie??

Now I'm getting into a position to actually start looking for a 9mm. What are some opinions on brands and models. I'm a novice, this will be for target shooting, and maybe, if the wife likes it better than her Thunder .380, she may carry it, but not necessarily.

So, target shooting, possible carry for wife...maybe a carry for me if she doesn't like it.

OK, fire away.

12FRETTER

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

I'm like that too. Ever since I saw my first James Bond movie, I've wanted a Walther PPK

Old 04-17-2011, 07:31 PM   #3

Liked 763 Times on 442 Posts
Likes Given: 461

Had a 92FS..liked it. It always felt comfortable in my hand and was a nice shooting, accurate gun. Sold it to raise funds for a 1911. Would not, however, be my first choice for CCW as it is a military design and therefore does not place emphasis on concealment, it is a big, robust, heavy gun not unlike the 1911.

9mm is probably the most popular and available caliber out there so you have near limitless choices in a gun from a sub compact through a full size...Springfield, CZ, Glock, Ruger, H&K, S&W and many others make reliable, quality guns. Spend some time at a range renting and shooting a few until something "feels" right for you and your wife.

Have fun...

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Last edited by Jpyle; 04-18-2011 at 12:42 AM.

Old 04-17-2011, 07:46 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ideal target (for me) is full size and heavy pistol.
Ideal carry (for me) is thin, light and compact pistol.

As you can see, my ideal target or carry piece are on either sides of the spectrum. Pick one and make your decision/compromise from there. Good luck!

Old 04-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Love mine; very accurate and a great range gun especially with 20-rd Mec-gar Optimum mags. I use these extended mags at the range and the 18-rd flush fitting optimum mags for carry. Its a very soft shooting 9mm. Being a 1911 guy, my only complaint is the position of the safety but I use it as a decocker only and carry it with double action first shot and the safety off. Trust me, the DA trigger pull is heavy enough to never have to worry about an AD.

The only 357 magnum to me is the Ruger Security Six!!

Last edited by mesinge2; 04-17-2011 at 08:11 PM.

Old 04-17-2011, 08:47 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

In the category of hi-cap steel 9mms, I prefer CZ 75 and then Browning Hi-Power. But that's not to say the Beretta won't function at the highest level. The Beretta 92 is a quality gun. If you like the feel and are already enamored, you won't be disappointed.

Of these full-sized guns I would say the slimmer BHP is the best for carry, and the 92FS (bulkier) is probably the least practical in that role. CZ also makes some nice compact models, but any steel gun is going to be heavier than many would like for a carry gun.

These are my two favorite range 9mms: CZ 75, BHP Practical

Last edited by sweeper22; 04-17-2011 at 08:49 PM.

Old 04-17-2011, 09:25 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
In the category of hi-cap steel 9mms, I prefer CZ 75 and then Browning Hi-Power. But that's not to say the Beretta won't function at the highest level. The Beretta 92 is a quality gun. If you like the feel and are already enamored, you won't be disappointed.

Of these full-sized guns I would say the slimmer BHP is the best for carry, and the 92FS (bulkier) is probably the least practical in that role. CZ also makes some nice compact models, but any steel gun is going to be heavier than many would like for a carry gun.

These are my two favorite range 9mms: CZ 75, BHP Practical
Very nice nines ya got there

Old 04-18-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 262 Times on 205 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by General_lee View Post
Very nice nines ya got there
Why thank you. I've got less than $550 into each including accessories. I like their simple classic designs...and I love the fact that they're two pistols I own that actually make me look like a truly competent shooter.

I found the Beretta 92 to be in a similar class on many levels (and it does have a very unique, classic profile for sure), it just feels a little bulkier than necessary. Fine range/home defense gun though.

Old 04-18-2011, 03:08 PM   #9

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

The Hi-Power would be my choice also, but I'm biased.

Jim.........

Visit me on FaceBook at Alvord Limited Custom Gunsmithing.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alvord-Limited-Custom-gunsmithing/637828296334671?ref=bookmarks

Old 04-19-2011, 06:21 PM   #10

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

The 92FS feels like a 'big' gun due to its grip, but unless you have really small hands, I don't think it is an issue. (I heard that women in the military had that complaint)

I like my 92FS very much and it shoots very reliablely, but it is nowhere near as accurate as my Kimber .45, but the capacity for the 92FS, cost of ammo, and overal quality make it a great choice in my opinion.