Beretta 9 or 40 - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Beretta 9 or 40

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I have a Beretta 96, .40 S&W, that I've owned for about 15 years. Good shooter and 100% reliable. I find the recoil a bit more snappier than a .45acp but still controllable and comfortable. 9mm may be cheaper to shoot but the .40 has definite advantages, i.e. bullet weight.

I'm old-school however and carry a .45acp.....Kimber Ultra Carry II w/CT. Some people have criticized me for the minor round count offered by the Kimber but my thoughts are if 7+1 rounds can't get me out of trouble, I've already lost the fight anyway...or I'm up against a gang. I do, occasionally, carry a loaded spare mag but most times the extra weight is not worth the bother.

I would highly recommend a Beretta for SD purposes. I would NOT recommend any type of 1911 unless the person using it is very practiced with this type firearm.

Old 01-04-2010, 04:03 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
I have a Beretta 96, .40 S&W, that I've owned for about 15 years. Good shooter and 100% reliable. I find the recoil a bit more snappier than a .45acp but still controllable and comfortable. 9mm may be cheaper to shoot but the .40 has definite advantages, i.e. bullet weight.

I'm old-school however and carry a .45acp.....Kimber Ultra Carry II w/CT. Some people have criticized me for the minor round count offered by the Kimber but my thoughts are if 7+1 rounds can't get me out of trouble, I've already lost the fight anyway...or I'm up against a gang. I do, occasionally, carry a loaded spare mag but most times the extra weight is not worth the bother.

I would highly recommend a Beretta for SD purposes. I would NOT recommend any type of 1911 unless the person using it is very practiced with this type firearm.
how do you feel about our armed forces, including special forces using 9mm?

-Clemenza, Caporegime, Corleone Family

I'm not saying I'm a Gun Rights activist or an Anti-Gun Rights activist.

I'm a "do-what-makes-sense activist"...and it just so happens that some gun laws don't make sense...

Old 01-04-2010, 07:34 AM   #13

Liked 340 Times on 272 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have a 9mm, a .357sig, and a .40sw. And honestly, I feel that the difference in recoil between the three of them is pretty negligible. Maybe this is the case for you, maybe not. I shoot and handle all the about as well and I'm a relatively inexperienced shooter.

9mm and 40sw are both pretty economical rounds. I get 9mm practice rounds for about $10/per 50, and 40sw for $12-15/50. Defense rounds cost the same for either, about $20-40/50, depending on your preference. The .40 is the more lethal round, while the 9mm offers a magazine capacity about 30% greater. In poly guns especially, I'd imagine follow-up shots are easier to place with the 9.

This much is true: They're both adequate defense rounds. They're both affordable, and generally easy to find. In that sense, they're good "value" rounds. It really does boil down to your own preference. I like the .40sw for a home defense gun, but wouldn't balk at the 9mm for a moment.

Old 01-18-2010, 03:16 PM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I think the 9mm is a good choice for the military and the extra rounds afforded by the M9 certainly are a plus in combat.

I think the Special Forces should be permitted to choose their own weapons systems. I have heard that some use .45acp 1911's and .45acp Sig's.

I regularly carry a .45acp, .380 auto, and 9mm.....in that order of preference. It all depends on the circumstance.

I like .40's but don't own one I would care to carry (Beretta 96 & Star 31-P).....maybe my Kahr PM40 dream will come true in the near future!