benefit of da vs. da/sa? - Page 6
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

benefit of da vs. da/sa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

carrying a 1911 with the safety off is exactly the same safety level as carrying a glock.
I disagree. The 1911 trigger is much lighter and has a lot shorter travel to fire. They are not the same at all.

Quote:
revolver internals are far more delicate than the internals of semi-auto firearms.
Not true. In fact it's funny, the PPC league I shoot in has some of both (auto and rev shooters) and in the groups shooting wheelguns it's almost unheard of to have "alibis" where the shooter couldn't complete firing during the time period due to malfunction. With autos it's commonplace. The RO asks at the end "Any alibis?" In the revo groups that is answered with silence and the RO says: "Love those wheelguns."

Quote:
any mechanical device will fail due to neglect. revolvers have a lot of very small delicate springs to make the actions work.
That could not be more wrong. Autos need their ammo "rotated" because of case deformation, they will fail to cycle if the grease/lube oxidizes over time. Revos can sit in a drawer 20 years and come out and work on the first pull. Springs do fail over time just from sitting.

Quote:
another issue with semis that create these myths is that internal workings are much more readily accessible to the average idiot making it easy for them t monkey with the internals thinking a "home brew trigger job" is just the ticket. much harder to do with a revolver.
Could not be more wrong, at least with SW revos. The Mikulek video shows how to do a trigger job on a revo and it's very easy (no expensive tools required), with autos the sear has to be cut so precisely that a cutting jig is required to get the angles right.

Old 10-02-2011, 06:49 PM   #52
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6786 Times on 3607 Posts
Likes Given: 506

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
I disagree. The 1911 trigger is much lighter and has a lot shorter travel to fire. They are not the same at all.

Not true. In fact it's funny, the PPC league I shoot in has some of both (auto and rev shooters) and in the groups shooting wheelguns it's almost unheard of to have "alibis" where the shooter couldn't complete firing during the time period due to malfunction. With autos it's commonplace. The RO asks at the end "Any alibis?" In the revo groups that is answered with silence and the RO says: "Love those wheelguns."

That could not be more wrong. Autos need their ammo "rotated" because of case deformation, they will fail to cycle if the grease/lube oxidizes over time. Revos can sit in a drawer 20 years and come out and work on the first pull. Springs do fail over time just from sitting.

Could not be more wrong, at least with SW revos. The Mikulek video shows how to do a trigger job on a revo and it's very easy (no expensive tools required), with autos the sear has to be cut so precisely that a cutting jig is required to get the angles right.
stick your finger or an object in the trigger guard and wiggle it around a bit and it will go off same with a 1911 or xd and it wont.

im not talking about diy as a good thing to do. diy bubba smithing is a real cause of semi auto failure because your average gun buyer is more tempted to diy on a semi than on a revolver.

im not sure what your talking about case deformation just because a weapon is a semiauto?? revolvers have greaes oil etc just the same as semi autos. semis are typically less complex. ive personally seen revolvers explode at ranges. ive seen semis go kaboom as well.

ive seen revolvers jam so solidly that the owner couldnt pry the trigger with a screwdriver to make it go off. revolvers are no more reliable or prone to failure than semi autos of the same quality level. ive got something over 10000 rounds through my sig P220 and springfield 1911A1 combined and neither has ever had a failure to fire or cycle.

im not much of a revolver shooter but i have in the past picked up broken or nonfunctioning revolvers at pawn shops and had them repaired then sold for a profit.

revolvers can and do break they do go kaboom and they do jam.

personally i like higher quality firearms and dont tolerate any firearm i own to function in poor manner. the only revolvers im interested in is my colt python and would like to add a colt SAA in 45lc to the safe at some point.

if you like revolvers thats great. happy for ya. but they arent the en all be all of firearms.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 10-03-2011, 12:14 AM   #53

Quote:
im not sure what your talking about case deformation just because a weapon is a semiauto??
Semis have the rounds crammed into a magazine under strong spring pressure which can put flat sides on the brass. Most people "rotate" carry ammo in the magazine and shoot it and replace it with new after a specific time period to reduce the probability of an ammo related jam.

Ammo in a revolver cylinder is under zero pressure.

Quote:
revolvers can and do break they do go kaboom and they do jam.
Let me see if I can put this clearly:

I've been working guns for about 25 years now. If I gave you $5 for every revolver problem I have seen or fixed and you gave me $1 for every auto problem I have seen or fixed, I WOULD OWN YOUR HOUSE.

Understand?

Last edited by bountyhunter; 10-03-2011 at 12:17 AM.

Old 10-03-2011, 12:32 AM   #54

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
I've been working guns for about 25 years now. If I gave you $5 for every revolver problem I have seen or fixed and you gave me $1 for every auto problem I have seen or fixed, I WOULD OWN YOUR HOUSE.
If you saw 1 semi-auto problem everyday, 365 days a year for 25 years, that would be about $9000.

Are you saying he lives in a trailer park on the wrong side of town?
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 10-03-2011, 12:37 AM   #55

Just making a point, and I can't remember a PPC league night where we only had one auto "problem" on the night. A lot of nights we have multiple problems at every stage and that's with only six different guns. Even on our bullseye league where most all of us shoot Ruger Mk II's, we have tons of jams, misfeeds, fail to extract, etc. Most from weak ammo but that really is the whole point I was making:

An auto has a VERY LONG list of excuses it can use to not work at any given time, revolvers list is a LOT shorter.

People who think auto loaders are more reliable than revolvers are not hooked to reality.

Old 10-03-2011, 02:17 PM   #56

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Just making a point, and I can't remember a PPC league night where we only had one auto "problem" on the night. A lot of nights we have multiple problems at every stage and that's with only six different guns. Even on our bullseye league where most all of us shoot Ruger Mk II's, we have tons of jams, misfeeds, fail to extract, etc. Most from weak ammo but that really is the whole point I was making:

An auto has a VERY LONG list of excuses it can use to not work at any given time, revolvers list is a LOT shorter.

People who think auto loaders are more reliable than revolvers are not hooked to reality.
I prefer auto loaders for the reduced recoil they produce. Bear in mind I

am a range shooter, but I carefully strip, clean, and lube my pistols after

every range visit, so I don't think you'd want to chance being

a BG if and when I ever had to shoot because my life were threatened.

I put my confidence on not being in a bad situation, staying

alert, and being willing to bug out at the first sign of trouble.

My CC is merely a last-ditch defense...

...that said, I haven't found a better system for carry safety than

my Beretta 92, with the DA and de-cocker.