benefit of da vs. da/sa? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > benefit of da vs. da/sa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-25-2011, 05:05 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

For a time I was alternately carrying a Defender-size 1911 (SA with an external thumb safety) and a Ruger LCP (long DAO trigger pull with no short reset). I began to think this was folly.

So I sold everything and went with a teeny Kahr (P380) and a large Kahr (CW45). They both have the exact same sighting system and loooong DAO trigger pull. Same platform, two types of carry. And I feel very safe with 1 in the chamber, even though there is no external safety...because of the DAO trigger!

My limited brain power will be much better served by the greater simplicity!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-25-2011, 02:28 PM   #22

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

IMO, at the outset,it probably would be wise to avoid DAO for

a while.

Rent and borrow as many types of guns as you can before buying.

Something will speak to you.

Old 09-27-2011, 10:48 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 27 Times on 20 Posts

I'm a Sig owner/lover. I have a P226 & P239, both in 9mm. I carried a P245 until my hands didn't care for the recoil (getter older can suck but beats the alternative). I have also owned a 1911, a Ruger P90 & Smith 3913. Nothing suited me as well as the Sigs.

All three are DA/SA with the de-cocker & I don't want anything else, no safeties, no extra levers....I like simple. Aim & squeeze. I have no issues with the first DA round, but I have shot thousands of rounds in that fashion and I think that the Sig DA pull is quite smooth.

JMHO & YMMV.

If I have to explain it, you probably won't understand it.

Old 09-28-2011, 02:46 PM   #24

Liked 2545 Times on 1452 Posts
Likes Given: 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebiker View Post
I'm a Sig owner/lover. I have a P226 & P239, both in 9mm. I carried a P245 until my hands didn't care for the recoil (getter older can suck but beats the alternative). I have also owned a 1911, a Ruger P90 & Smith 3913. Nothing suited me as well as the Sigs.

All three are DA/SA with the de-cocker & I don't want anything else, no safeties, no extra levers....I like simple. Aim & squeeze. I have no issues with the first DA round, but I have shot thousands of rounds in that fashion and I think that the Sig DA pull is quite smooth.

JMHO & YMMV.
This is exactly how I feel about the Beretta 92. IMO, once you

get used to the de-cocker, you're almost ready to throw

stones at anything else.

Old 09-28-2011, 03:50 PM   #25

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by therewolf View Post
This is exactly how I feel about the Beretta 92. IMO, once you

get used to the de-cocker, you're almost ready to throw

stones at anything else.
Would Thebiker and therewolf agree that there is a need to adjust one's grip after the first DA shot when the trigger has dropped back?

I've found this to be my reality with DA/SA's but it could be a matter of hand size or technique so I'm interested in your opinions.

TACK

Old 09-28-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

Personally, I'm a fan of one trigger pull per gun. I've shot the occasional DA/SA gun that didn't require a mental and/or physical adjustment after the first shot, but they were rare. I know that's a function of the quality of the manufacturer and the fit of the gun to my hand, but there it is.

A friend of mine has a surplus Polish police pistol based on the Makarov. Out of the box, it had an absolutely brutal trigger pull on the DA round (he said it was 18 lbs.) and an incredibly light pull (felt like about 3 lbs.) on follow-up shots. The trigger was thin, and my trigger finger would be practically numb after the first shot, so it was difficult to notice when my trigger finger came into contact with the trigger for the second BANG! shot. From the third shot on, it's an awesome little gun.

I know the above example is extreme. And my friend did replace the trigger spring to reduce the weight of that DA pull. My wife's S&W pistol is nowhere near that bad.

Another word on decockers that I haven't seen mentioned in previous posts: it's always (or nearly always) the same lever as the safety. So if you're looking at pictures and wondering what's what, don't get confused. Typically, when you flip the safety lever down, that decocks the hammer. If you leave the lever down, the safety is on. And if the lever is down when you rack the slide to chamber a round, it will decock as part of the process.

Now for a range gun, you will probably enjoy a DA/SA gun thoroughly! You can shoot every shot on SA if you want to. But if you think you might ever need it to defend yourself, you will want to practice DA shots.

Most of the things we've all posted are personal preferences. That's why there are so many people that make SA, DAO and DA/SA guns. If one were clearly better all the time for everybody, the others would disappear.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-28-2011, 11:24 PM   #27

Just so I have more clarity about the terminology, since I've only fired a Beretta once or twice...

Would the Glock be considered DA/SA? It has that longer DA trigger pull and the short reset second shot. Same thing?

I think Beretta 92FS has a hammer and the Glock is striker-fired, but is the action in the same category?

Just wanting to understand better.

Old 09-28-2011, 11:51 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
Just so I have more clarity about the terminology, since I've only fired a Beretta once or twice...

Would the Glock be considered DA/SA? It has that longer DA trigger pull and the short reset second shot. Same thing?

I think Beretta 92FS has a hammer and the Glock is striker-fired, but is the action in the same category?

i believe the glocks are DAO, meaning they have the same pull on the first, second, third, etc. shots. the trigger pull might be a bit longer than on a SA gun, but it is the exact same pull on every shot.

Old 09-29-2011, 12:33 AM   #29

Liked 4886 Times on 2368 Posts
Likes Given: 1524

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post

Technically-I don't think so.
Striker fired guns like Glock, XD, Kahr, Ect...don't really fit the DA/SA model because a traditional DA leaves the main spring under ZERO tension so the act of pulling the trigger must fully load the spring and release the sear to drop the hammer.

Racking the slide on a Glock puts the spring under, I believe, 60% tension. The remaining 40% is taken up in the act of pulling the trigger. Racking an XD puts the spring at 100% and pulling the trigger simply releases the sear.

So...A Glock would "technically closer to SA than DA. An XD would be "technically" closer to SA than a glock.

All of this assumes your using pre loaded main spring pressure to differentiate between DA and SA.

My 2 cents.

TACK

Old 09-29-2011, 03:00 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by cals400ex View Post
i believe the glocks are DAO, meaning they have the same pull on the first, second, third, etc. shots. the trigger pull might be a bit longer than on a SA gun, but it is the exact same pull on every shot.
Have you ever fired a Glock, cals?

Tack, so the first DA in a Glock isn't truly a DA because the striker is already 60%? But the second pull--after the short reset--feels very much like SA. Does the XD platform have that same short reset? I've never fired one. I'm just wondering how that short Glock reset would be categorized along the DA/SA spectrum.