benefit of da vs. da/sa? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > benefit of da vs. da/sa?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2011, 11:55 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cals400ex View Post
i am new to this scene and i wasn't sure the benefit of a da over a da/sa? any help would be appreciated.
For a defense weapon, DA (only) makes a lot of sense. Every trigger pull will have the same long, heavy pull. IMHO, it's dangerous to have a defense weapon where the first trigger pull is heavy/long and the follow up pulls are very short and light. Under stress, that's an invitation for an AD.

Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #12

Liked 19 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cals400ex
i am a novice and the gun probably won't get much use. i was looking really closely at the sig 226 and the cz 75. on a da/sa gun, you can manually cock it, correct? if so, this would avoid two different trigger pulls. also, i don't understand what a decocker is??
A decocker is a lever on some da/sa guns that allows you to safely drop the hammer while a round us in the chamber without firing the gun. This would return you to DA mode because the round would be chambered and the hammer would be down requiring the longer trigger pull that pulls back and drops the hammer.

With a da/sa gun, one method of training would be to fire one DA shot followed be one or two SA shots, then decock the gun and repeat the process. This is to train you on the transition from DA to SA.

Personally, I think the whole two different trigger pull "disadvantage" of a DA/SA is a lot of bunk. When people float a shot with a DA/SA it's the first shot - the DA shot, not any of the SA shots. So how can all DA shots be an advantage? The long hard trigger pull is the problem for new shooters and what induces bad trigger pulls. So more if them (DAO) isn't better!

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

"Ideology deludes, inspires dishonesty, and breeds fanaticism. Facts, experience, and logic are much better at leading you to the truth."

"Despite the conviction and seeming depth of knowledge with which ideologues speak, they are intellectual weaklings--joiners--who defer to systems of belief and charismatic gurus for their ideas." -- Daniel J. Flynn

GOA

Last edited by knfxda; 09-25-2011 at 12:23 AM.

Old 09-25-2011, 12:00 AM   #13

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
For a defense weapon, DA (only) makes a lot of sense. Every trigger pull will have the same long, heavy pull. IMHO, it's dangerous to have a defense weapon where the first trigger pull is heavy/long and the follow up pulls are very short and light. Under stress, that's an invitation for an AD.
Interesting perspective. I'm not sure I entirely agree, but interesting. A good DA/SA should have a DA pull equal to that of a good DAO revolver. If you pulled the trigger the first time, thus putting it into SA, then I don't see much reason to fear a AD.

Just my .02

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-25-2011, 12:20 AM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5656 Times on 2955 Posts
Likes Given: 374

you ought to check the springfield xdm out no manual safety just rack the slide to charge each shot is controlled by a decent weight easy to use trigger pull. consistant accuracy. easy very easy to use for a new shooter. keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless you need to shoot. the grip safety ensures you have to have a proper grip for it to go off.

my wife is really new to handguns and she grasped it right off. she is pretty good with a xdm.

ive been a 1911 shooter for 20+ years and i realllly like the ease of use of the xdm. its about as close as you can get to a 1911 without it being one

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 09-25-2011, 01:05 AM   #15

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119

Interesting perspective. I'm not sure I entirely agree, but interesting. A good DA/SA should have a DA pull equal to that of a good DAO revolver. If you pulled the trigger the first time, thus putting it into SA, then I don't see much reason to fear a AD.

Just my .02
Talking about double action and revolvers, i handled and felt the trigger pull on a colt python.. Tht thing was as smooth as butter.. If all double actions felt like that it wouldnt be a problem

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigByrd47119 View Post

Just my .02
It's because the second pulls are so short and the trigger finger is "searching" for the trigger because it has moved significantly rearward from the first position. IMHO, this is the reason so many LE's carrying Berettas will swear they fired once and they find out it was three or four times.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:19 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
Talking about double action and revolvers, i handled and felt the trigger pull on a colt python.. Tht thing was as smooth as butter.. If all double actions felt like that it wouldnt be a problem
A buddy of mine, working as a local Sheriffs Deputy, carries a Sig as his duty weapon (don't recall the model). Its also a DA/SA and man, that DA is near enough to perfection for me. Never had an opportunity to handle a Colt Python, but if its anything like this Sig, its a keeper .

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 09-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray View Post
I can tune the trigger pull of a SW revolver to be as good. That's what I recommend for a defense gun. Consistent 8# trigger pull every time, smooth as glass.

Old 09-25-2011, 04:20 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by bountyhunter View Post
It's because the second pulls are so short and the trigger finger is "searching" for the trigger because it has moved significantly rearward from the first position. IMHO, this is the reason so many LE's carrying Berettas will swear they fired once and they find out it was three or four times.
Point taken.

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun

Old 09-25-2011, 04:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
you ought to check the springfield xdm out no manual safety just rack the slide to charge each shot is controlled by a decent weight easy to use trigger pull. consistant accuracy. easy very easy to use for a new shooter. keep your finger out of the trigger guard unless you need to shoot. the grip safety ensures you have to have a proper grip for it to go off.

my wife is really new to handguns and she grasped it right off. she is pretty good with a xdm.

ive been a 1911 shooter for 20+ years and i realllly like the ease of use of the xdm. its about as close as you can get to a 1911 without it being one
The XD is a very good design and Springer Precision sells sears and trigger parts that can make the trigger very good. It's the best striker fired defense gun, very good choice for a new shooter.