Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   benefit of da vs. da/sa? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/benefit-da-vs-da-sa-48750/)

cals400ex 09-24-2011 07:15 PM

benefit of da vs. da/sa?

i am new to this scene and i wasn't sure the benefit of a da over a da/sa? any help would be appreciated.

JonM 09-24-2011 07:49 PM

there is only a benefit if your training a large mass of people who will use the weapon only rarely if ever. such as police forces or military.

da/sa, sa, striker type guns are better for the civilian type folk and the individual leo who are looking to spend more time training.

the double action pull is heavy clumsy long and difficult to be accurate with under stress but smooths the training proccess greatly.

sa or single action triggers generally have an external safety of some sort and an extra step is involved but the light crisp pull lends its self well to accurate very fast shooting. the striker pistol style like glock the triggers are generally mushy and very very poor as the striker is a compromise between da and sa pulls eliminating the transition between da to sa in the da/sa pistols.

the exception to the striker being a poor trigger style is the springfield xd/xdm. the triggers on those guns are very nice and the closest you will get to a 1911 sa trigger yet still retain a good deal of safety even after eliminating the external safety and da pull.

its generally the transition from da mode to sa mode that is the most difficult aspect of more traditional da/sa pistol shooters to overcome.

knfxda 09-24-2011 07:54 PM

Personally, I don't see a benefit of a DAO over a da/sa, but I'm sure others may feel otherwise.

The DAO would give you a consistent long trigger pull every time, but it is the worse of the two trigger pulls. So, you only have to "learn" one trigger pull, albeit, a bad one.

The DAO allows you always carry hammer down. Some people might like that idea. But there is no benefit over a da/sa with a decocker which would allow you to carry the same way.

Second strike capability is another "benefit" of dual-action, but again you'd be able to do the same with a da/sa. Quite frankly dumping the round is a better option.

Sent from my iPhone using FirearmsTalk

Tackleberry1 09-24-2011 08:05 PM

Most CCW civilians and LEO's agree there is a distinct advantage to having a consistent trigger pull from shot to shot.

DA/SA guns have a long heavy trigger pull for the first shot, the pistol then cocks itself and all following shots are SA. On most DA/SA guns the trigger position drops back enough. "after that 1st DA shot", to require a slight alteration to the shooters grip. These are not issues you want to deal with if bullets are coming in your direction.

Common logic would recommend that novice shooters who are going to CCW begin with either a DA only trigger system or one of the striker fired guns because there is no active safety "to forget to disengage", and your trigger pull is always the same.

Some of the more advanced shooters prefer the SA only pistols such as a 1911 or Browning Hi-Power. Also gaining in popularity are several DA/SA's being designed for the option of SA "locked & cocked" carry. They all typically have an active thumb safety with must be disengaged before the gun will fire. Under stress it's very easy to forget this step which is why I do not recommend them for novice CCW.

The important thing to note with both recommendations is that either way you get a consistent trigger pull from the first shot to the last and with practice and training you can certainly be effective with either.

Hope this helped & good luck,

TACK

BigByrd47119 09-24-2011 10:52 PM

If your not going to spend much time training, then the DAO might be your best bet. However, its my humble opinion that you just cant beat the Bersa Thunder .45 DA/SA Trigger!

cals400ex 09-24-2011 11:02 PM

i am a novice and the gun probably won't get much use. i was looking really closely at the sig 226 and the cz 75. on a da/sa gun, you can manually cock it, correct? if so, this would avoid two different trigger pulls. also, i don't understand what a decocker is??

cals400ex 09-24-2011 11:06 PM

btw, neither of these would be carried. it will be used for home defense, plinking, some range shooting, etc.

therewolf 09-24-2011 11:10 PM

I don't mind my 1911 with the "cocked and locked" mode,

but the Beretta 92 has the DA with the de-cocker safety, which

IMO is not only safe, but also available quick,fast, and in a hurry.

MrWray 09-24-2011 11:47 PM

I personally dont like that first loooong pull, i like a cocked locked single action 1911

BigByrd47119 09-24-2011 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cals400ex (Post 586097)
i am a novice and the gun probably won't get much use. i was looking really closely at the sig 226 and the cz 75. on a da/sa gun, you can manually cock it, correct? if so, this would avoid two different trigger pulls. also, i don't understand what a decocker is??

The decocker is used to drop the hammer safetly without the fear of the gun going off (decocking without using the decocker is a no-no for sure).

Every DA/SA that I know of can be manually cocked into SA.

One of the things I really don't like about the Bersa is that there is no way to carry it in SA mode with the safety on. If you cock the hammer and engage the safety, the hammer decocks. Thats just how they have designed their guns. So, its really a matter of personal preference.

Anyways, a DAO may be a better way for you to go, however, that typically goes for people who plan to carry but don't plan to practice much. If your going to carry AND plan to practice twice or more a month, I think DA/SA would be fine.

You will hear this a lot, but if you have the opportunity you should simply go out and shoot whatever it is your interested in getting. It leads to less regret later on!