Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Belts??? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/belts-35794/)

itsmycall 12-19-2010 04:08 PM

Belts???

I have a 1-1/2 wide solid leather belt for my iwb XD9 SC but it still pulls my pants down. I am 6ft 210, medium build with 59 yr old belly sag. Do these $75.00 gun belts really help and make a difference?

JonM 12-19-2010 04:32 PM

the gun belts dont support anymore than a standard belt. what they do is provide a more durable surface to attach your holster. over time on a regular store belt a heavy pistol will bend the leather distorting the shape of the belt.

only thing that can help belt sag is suspenders or a shoulder holster or a man purse device.

M14sRock 12-19-2010 04:56 PM

A belt designed to carry a gun is lined, and stiffer than a standard belt. They do help with the sag.

hogrider 12-19-2010 05:03 PM

Gun Belt

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 405867)
A belt designed to carry a gun is lined, and stiffer than a standard belt. They do help with the sag.

Rock.....I thought they used thicker leather which made them stiffer. Is that incorrect? I just sent off for one so I'll soon find out. :rolleyes:

JonM 12-19-2010 05:57 PM

yes thats correct. its a thicker sturdier belt.

7point62 12-19-2010 06:25 PM

You can get a good thick leather holster belt from Cabelas for about $25.

itsmycall 12-19-2010 07:46 PM

Triple K #213 1 1/2" Wide Garrison Belt

Triple K #213 1 1/2" Wide Garrison Belt Anyone tried these? At $50.00 very affordable, but I want one that works and very cost conscience of $100 ones.

Neophyte1 12-19-2010 09:25 PM

Belt

A fellow near here is a holster maker, belt maker ?leather-smith? I apologize for not knowing the correct

He made me a belt; a couple of years ago. Solid, will hold Super Blackhawk, 7.5" or any of my other handguns.
It hasn't lost any shape, nor ''wear-in''

1.5", two pieces glued and sewn together. I'm very satisfied. The only issue, the screws that hold buckle straps, come loose from time to time.

M14sRock 12-19-2010 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larry5081 (Post 405872)
Rock.....I thought they used thicker leather which made them stiffer. Is that incorrect? I just sent off for one so I'll soon find out. :rolleyes:

A "gun belt" is typically stiff leather, in at least two layers glued and stitched together. A thin piece of a "stiffener" is sometimes sewn in as well. It used to commonly be a thin piece of steel, but thin pieces of plastic and teflon have also been used.

Bianchi made several styles, and was kind of the trendsetter. Gordon Davis made probably the nicest ones, but expect to pay big bucks.

Now the common belt is one of the heavy nylon versions, but they are more for range use than "stealth" street use.

WDB 12-20-2010 02:39 AM

I believe it has as much to do with the stiching as the leather or stiffeners. I have two 1 1/2" nice carry belts, one black one brown. They are double stiched top and bottom and have an oval single stich patern on the leather between. Been using them for 10+ years and have held up nicely. The brand name is worn off and I don't recall where I bought them but I expect I paid about $50 each. A good belt is a fine investment that will last a lifetime. You do have to sinch your belt a bit tighter when packing a firearm otherwise your pants will sag, you will have to keep adjusting and that gets attention.