Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Below zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2014, 02:32 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1808 Times on 982 Posts
Likes Given: 557

Grease here attracts sand and sand can be very fine so no grease. I have been using clp but I dont have an cold temps to worry about.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 01-30-2014, 03:09 PM   #12

Liked 902 Times on 601 Posts
Likes Given: 561

Quote:
I know from my love of cooking the worst thing you can inflict on pans is vegetable oils. Pretty much ruins them in the long run.
LOL, that's funny. How does it ruin them? For cold weather, I would under no circumstances put any kind of grease on my guns. (I thought that was a no no anyway). Grease will become stiffer way before oils, and I have never in my life seen frozen oil. If the oil is frozen, you probably have bigger problems… I'd just stick to a decent gun oil. OP, are you shooting it in the extreme cold? If not, have you tried? If so, did it work?
Old 01-30-2014, 04:48 PM   #13

Liked 248 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

When I was in Korea the temps dropped to -22 degrees at times. I lubricated my M-1 rifle with issued gun oil and wiped it nearly dry with patches.

Never had a problem.

Bob Wright

Old 01-30-2014, 04:58 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5455 Times on 2847 Posts
Likes Given: 350

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
LOL, that's funny. How does it ruin them? For cold weather, I would under no circumstances put any kind of grease on my guns. (I thought that was a no no anyway). Grease will become stiffer way before oils, and I have never in my life seen frozen oil. If the oil is frozen, you probably have bigger problems… I'd just stick to a decent gun oil. OP, are you shooting it in the extreme cold? If not, have you tried? If so, did it work?
vegetable oil turns into a type of shallac like material on metal pans. its really really nasty.

i use lard or olive oil which does not leave that same vile gunk behind as corn oil or canola oil does when it breaks down under heat.

maybe frog lube is olive oil i dunno they dont say most plant oils have a very low thermal threshold and break down quickly which is why cornoil the main ingredient in vegetable oil and shortening is a terrible medium for cooking.

peanut oil and olive oil are better plant based cooking oils and do just fine in most applications. altho i prefer lard or bacon grease for cooking since it lends a better flavour with no funky after taste and is shelf stable with no refrigeration really needed long as it is filtered into a storage container.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-30-2014 at 05:00 PM.

Old 01-30-2014, 05:06 PM   #15

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Here in the Rocky Mtns. at altitudes as high as 10,000 feet cold is a fact of life. I have never known of firearms freezing up if they were cleaned. Never use any type of grease regardless. Keep the weapons clean and use a light gun oil sparingly.

Old 01-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #16

Liked 248 Times on 152 Posts
Likes Given: 21

For the last thirty or forty years or so I have used a 50/50 mix of automotive motor oil and Three-In-One machine oil on all of my guns. After oiling fairly liberally, I wipe them down with one of those blue paper shop towels, such as sold at AutoZone, until they are dry to the touch. Never had a problem in any weather.

Bob Wright

Old 01-30-2014, 10:07 PM   #17

Liked 213 Times on 171 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Here's one more that a super lube . Good to -75* to +500. This is my current lube for my pistols.
http://www.proshotproducts.com/Zero-Friction-1-oz-Needle-Oiler_p_618.html

Or you can go buy a quart of 0-20 amsoil, redline or royal purple and your good to go.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:16 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1477 Times on 1003 Posts
Likes Given: 512

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
vegetable oil turns into a type of shallac like material on metal pans. its really really nasty.
The shellac type material is "seasoning" which is a non stick material in itself. JonM you're great with guns but stay out of the kitchen.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seasoning_(cookware)

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-01-2014, 02:44 PM   #19

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I was talking to a friend of mine that served in the american sideria know as fort drum NY. Only 28 below last week. He tells me that the main failer of fire arms in sub zero conditions is ice. When you shot off a few rounds the gun heats up melting snow. And then freezes up. Locking up slides and bolts. In place. Your thauts

Old 02-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #20

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Humm? He received his Basic Marksmanship Training Where??