Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Below zero

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2014, 07:19 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Below zero

I live in Ohio and the temp lately has been below zero. When I go to class I have to keep my 1911 in a lock box. Should I be taking any extra steps to fight the cold. Right now I use #9 on my guns (ill be switching to froglube soon)

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2014, 07:43 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Use a good gun grease. Oils will freeze solid in extreme cold weather.

My issue with froglube is there is no info on what it is not even in the msds. You have to take the manufacturers word for it to not doing longterm damage or longterm issues. Such as how do you get it off if you need to do work on a gun. Some things they need to be totally free of grease oil other chemicals....

I don't trust a company that says trust me this is good for you...

Food grade to me means some sort of vegetable oil based grease. I know from my love of cooking the worst thing you can inflict on pans is vegetable oils. Pretty much ruins them in the long run.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-29-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1740 Times on 946 Posts
Likes Given: 547

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Use a good gun grease. Oils will freeze solid in extreme cold weather.

My issue with froglube is there is no info on what it is not even in the msds. You have to take the manufacturers word for it to not doing longterm damage or longterm issues. Such as how do you get it off if you need to do work on a gun. Some things they need to be totally free of grease oil other chemicals....

I don't trust a company that says trust me this is good for you...

Food grade to me means some sort of vegetable oil based grease. I know from my love of cooking the worst thing you can inflict on pans is vegetable oils. Pretty much ruins them in the long run.
Food grade could also be animal based like whale oil or maybe it is made from frogs.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

KG7IL Likes This 
Old 01-29-2014, 10:37 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5316 Times on 2775 Posts
Likes Given: 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
Food grade could also be animal based like whale oil or maybe it is made from frogs.
if its animal fat it would be ok but i bet its a btch to clean off if you need to refinish or mount optics or soemthing.

its description sounds like what vegetable oils do. make a layer that "bakes" or "dries" on then liquifies under heat. cookng oils do that but its a sticky nasty mess.

without knowing what it really is its not going on any gun of mine.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 01-29-2014 at 10:45 PM.

Old 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM   #5

Liked 211 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 15

just use a clp from breakfree, g96 or rand for oil/lube anr your 1911 is good to go till your temps get closer to -40*

Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 PM   #6

Liked 64 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Greese freezes way before oil does

Old 01-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 479

CLP says their product is good in cold weather. But they show no testing and go on to make out like their product is used by the military. I feel confident using CLP in NC. In NC we never see extreme cold temperatures.

If I was in below zero temperatures I would use a high quality automotive grease or a weapons lubricant that has been independently tested.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-30-2014, 12:26 PM   #8
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Mobile One Synthetic Gear grease. One tube will last a lifetime. Great for hot and cold obviously. Plus it's red so for some people it's a good indicator you went too crazy on the application as it oozes out
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_car-care_mobil-1-synthetic-grease.aspx

I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

Old 01-30-2014, 12:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2529 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 1399

I only use Ballistol on all of my guns and I'm pretty sure that I do not leave enough oil on any surface that I will have to worry about freezing, except in conditions colder than I have ever encountered.

I could be wrong, but I only leave a very thin film on all surfaces.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 01-30-2014, 12:48 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1777 Times on 924 Posts
Likes Given: 357

I use CLP for everything but the slide (a dab of gun grease on the grooves). I have shot as low as -23F never any issues. Routinely shot outdoors below 0......it's Minnesota so if you want to shoot...

I get more concerned with any plastic parts past a certain temp due to potential brittleness. By the way CLP is rated to -45