Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Below zero (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/below-zero-103416/)

TeaBaggins63 01-29-2014 07:19 PM

Below zero

I live in Ohio and the temp lately has been below zero. When I go to class I have to keep my 1911 in a lock box. Should I be taking any extra steps to fight the cold. Right now I use #9 on my guns (ill be switching to froglube soon)

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Firearms Talk mobile app

JonM 01-29-2014 07:43 PM

Use a good gun grease. Oils will freeze solid in extreme cold weather.

My issue with froglube is there is no info on what it is not even in the msds. You have to take the manufacturers word for it to not doing longterm damage or longterm issues. Such as how do you get it off if you need to do work on a gun. Some things they need to be totally free of grease oil other chemicals....

I don't trust a company that says trust me this is good for you...

Food grade to me means some sort of vegetable oil based grease. I know from my love of cooking the worst thing you can inflict on pans is vegetable oils. Pretty much ruins them in the long run.

JTJ 01-29-2014 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1494423)
Use a good gun grease. Oils will freeze solid in extreme cold weather.

My issue with froglube is there is no info on what it is not even in the msds. You have to take the manufacturers word for it to not doing longterm damage or longterm issues. Such as how do you get it off if you need to do work on a gun. Some things they need to be totally free of grease oil other chemicals....

I don't trust a company that says trust me this is good for you...

Food grade to me means some sort of vegetable oil based grease. I know from my love of cooking the worst thing you can inflict on pans is vegetable oils. Pretty much ruins them in the long run.

Food grade could also be animal based like whale oil or maybe it is made from frogs.:rolleyes:

JonM 01-29-2014 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1494499)
Food grade could also be animal based like whale oil or maybe it is made from frogs.:rolleyes:

if its animal fat it would be ok but i bet its a btch to clean off if you need to refinish or mount optics or soemthing.

its description sounds like what vegetable oils do. make a layer that "bakes" or "dries" on then liquifies under heat. cookng oils do that but its a sticky nasty mess.

without knowing what it really is its not going on any gun of mine.

hardluk1 01-30-2014 10:24 AM

just use a clp from breakfree, g96 or rand for oil/lube anr your 1911 is good to go till your temps get closer to -40*

robertusa123 01-30-2014 12:03 PM

Greese freezes way before oil does

John_Deer 01-30-2014 12:17 PM

CLP says their product is good in cold weather. But they show no testing and go on to make out like their product is used by the military. I feel confident using CLP in NC. In NC we never see extreme cold temperatures.

If I was in below zero temperatures I would use a high quality automotive grease or a weapons lubricant that has been independently tested.

KJG67 01-30-2014 12:26 PM

Mobile One Synthetic Gear grease. One tube will last a lifetime. Great for hot and cold obviously. Plus it's red so for some people it's a good indicator you went too crazy on the application as it oozes out :)
http://www.mobil.com/USA-English-LCW/carengineoils_products_car-care_mobil-1-synthetic-grease.aspx

eatmydust 01-30-2014 12:27 PM

I only use Ballistol on all of my guns and I'm pretty sure that I do not leave enough oil on any surface that I will have to worry about freezing, except in conditions colder than I have ever encountered.

I could be wrong, but I only leave a very thin film on all surfaces.

chloeshooter 01-30-2014 12:48 PM

I use CLP for everything but the slide (a dab of gun grease on the grooves). I have shot as low as -23F never any issues. Routinely shot outdoors below 0......it's Minnesota so if you want to shoot...

I get more concerned with any plastic parts past a certain temp due to potential brittleness. By the way CLP is rated to -45