Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Belgian FN 9mm from WWII (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/belgian-fn-9mm-wwii-66796/)

Aldonola 06-19-2012 09:19 PM

Belgian FN 9mm from WWII

1 Attachment(s)
My grandfather was a POW in WW2 and when the guards left to flee the Russians, one of them gave his sidearm to him. It also has a nice holster to which the owner had added his paratrooper badge.
The weapon has great sentimental value for me. I am thinking of letting an expert give it some TLC: replace the rear sight, overhaul it, etc. No cosmetic repairs. Any suggestions as to how select someone who will give it the care it deserves? I am keenly aware that a shoddy job can greatly lessen its historical/collector ineterest down the road.

sputnik1988 06-19-2012 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldonola (Post 842078)
My grandfather was a POW in WW2 and when the guards left to flee the Russians, one of them gave his sidearm to him. It also has a nice holster to which the owner had added his paratrooper badge.
The weapon has great sentimental value for me. I am thinking of letting an expert give it some TLC: replace the rear sight, overhaul it, etc. No cosmetic repairs. Any suggestions as to how select someone who will give it the care it deserves? I am keenly aware that a shoddy job can greatly lessen its historical/collector ineterest down the road.

Br careful, sometimes even a professional job can lower the value.

Olympus 06-20-2012 12:11 AM

Unless you're planning on shooting it, I would leave well-enough alone and just keep it the way it is. Keep good gun-related rust inhibitor on it to protect it from corrosion.

FYI - you also posted in the Revolver subsection.

Jpyle 06-20-2012 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aldonola (Post 842078)

The person that advises you to leave it as is is the one you want to work with. Personally, I would do nothing other than preservation, changing anything from what it left the factory with will diminish value unless you are doing a full renovation. As a sentimental piece all it needs is a good lubrication and rust inhibitor. My opinion, save the repair money and put it towards a suitable storage case that will help keep it from rusting.

Rick1967 06-20-2012 01:18 AM

I agree. Other than storing it with a good preservative I would not do a thing. You can always buy a cheap shooter if that is what you are wanting. If something happened to your gandpa's gun you might be able to find a similar one...but you would not have the story to go with it.

You should stop over at the introductions thread and say hi.

hiwall 06-20-2012 01:43 AM

In the picture it looks like it is missing the rear sight? If so you could get a sight put on the gun without hurting the value any (as long as they did nothing except install the sight in the existing dovetail).

c3shooter 06-20-2012 02:05 AM

I THINK this is the rear sight you need for your Browning/ FN 1922.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Detail.aspx?pid=541390A&catid=1306

A competent pistol smith should be able to properly install a correct replacement sight for a few $$. BTW, you should be aware that if that is the gun i THINK it is, it is NOT 9mm Parabellum- it is a .380. In Europe it was called 9mm Kurz or 9mm Corto- means 9mm Short.

And congratulations on having a nice bit of history. Use a good preservative, wipe with a soft clean cloth, and LEAVE IT ALONE!