Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Beginner gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2013, 01:32 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

When you say "new to guns", do you mean you have never owned one, never held one, never shot one, never took a safety class etc...? What are your intentions for the gun? Home protection, target practice, conceal carry (haha, not in Nanny, IL)? Why are you not interested in a revolver?

If you are completely new, the first thing is to do is learn the basic safety strategies... ie. NEVER point the muzzle at anything you don't intend to shoot... the gun is ALWAYS loaded... DON'T put your finger on the trigger until you are ready to shoot... and know what is BEHIND your target.

If you already know these things and you don't have a mentor, there is a reason why a revolver is the smart way to start. A .22 also makes sense for being able to shoot a lot without spending a lot of money. Trust me, practice gets expensive very quickly shooting .9mm, .45, .38 etc. However, .22 may not make the most sense if your primary intention is home defense.

I think we need more information from you before we can give you solid advice. Of course going to a shop and handling a lot of different guns will help familiarize you with ergonomics and what feels comfortable in your hand. Shooting it is a whole other topic.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:07 PM   #12

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I've held and shot different guns. And it is mostly for home protection

Old 04-20-2013, 11:12 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I guess I should be more specific. This will be my first HANDGUN.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #14

Liked 3784 Times on 2257 Posts
Likes Given: 3161

You can find out what the police department you want to join in the future is carrying. I bet it is Glock though. Handguns need a bit of training, trust me I know. So please take classes.

Old 04-20-2013, 11:29 PM   #15

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

No I am next weekend and I'm not looking to buy a glock bc if I do end up working for the pd what's the point of having a glock if they'll issue me one

Old 04-20-2013, 11:37 PM   #16

Liked 378 Times on 244 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

what the other guys said.

- try out renting different guns at a range. Tell them your a noob and just want figure out what you like I am sure they will be happy to help.
- Do NOT disregard revolvers just because they are not cool in the movies anymore., Better 1st shot hit probablity , simplicity, ruggedness, make it a perfectly viable choice. I am a non beginner and even I appreciate the ease of hitting things with a revolver. Used to be a Glock guy now went to Ruger revolvers.

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix

Old 04-20-2013, 11:40 PM   #17

Liked 3784 Times on 2257 Posts
Likes Given: 3161

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsha91 View Post
No I am next weekend and I'm not looking to buy a glock bc if I do end up working for the pd what's the point of having a glock if they'll issue me one
I am not a Glock fan and I understand your reasoning. That is one way to look at your situation.

Another way to look at your situation, is that you are training and want to be prepared. Also, don't you want to be an expert on the gun that you are using to save your life? There is a saying in the gun community.

"Beware of the the man who owns only one gun."

Old 04-21-2013, 03:14 AM   #18

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

I am not a Glock fan and I understand your reasoning. That is one way to look at your situation.

Another way to look at your situation, is that you are training and want to be prepared. Also, don't you want to be an expert on the gun that you are using to save your life? There is a saying in the gun community.

"Beware of the the man who owns only one gun."
Valid point. Never really thought of it like that

Old 04-21-2013, 05:42 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

A double action revolver is the most reliable safest and easiest to use handgun you can buy. And honestly it's getting pretty hard to find a bad one if you buy it new.

Old 04-24-2013, 05:28 AM   #20

Liked 3570 Times on 2224 Posts
Likes Given: 1212

Welcome to the wonderful world of handgun ownership (soon).

The best advice anyone can give you here has already been said to some extent or another: go to multiple ranges/gun stores, and talk to the people who work there. Don't commit to one handgun just because the sales guy makes it sound like a gun that could kill Kim Jung Un from halfway across the globe. Be open minded and listen to everything they have to say. Answer their questions honestly and fully and they will steer you in the right direction.

Hold as much as you can, rent and fire as much as you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by garsha91 View Post
...and live in Chicago...
You have my condolences.

Always have clean socks.