Bear Round
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Bear Round

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 308 Times on 177 Posts
Likes Given: 552

Default Bear Round

Ok all so I am going to the smoky mtns and doing a long hike. The bears that are native there are black bears. My choices for handguns that I can bring are a S&W sigma in .40 that holds 14 per mag, a FNP in .45 that holds 15 in a mag or a 1911 in .45.

So yes I know that neither of these calibers are recommended for bear but they are my best options as I do not have the money to go and buy a new hand gun right now. So please no comments on other calibers

So between the two calibers which would be better? The .45 is slow and big and the .40 is faster but smaller.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-10-2014, 10:19 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7318 Times on 3897 Posts
Likes Given: 574

Quote:
Originally Posted by colmustard View Post
Ok all so I am going to the smoky mtns and doing a long hike. The bears that are native there are black bears. My choices for handguns that I can bring are a S&W sigma in .40 that holds 14 per mag, a FNP in .45 that holds 15 in a mag or a 1911 in .45.

So yes I know that neither of these calibers are recommended for bear but they are my best options as I do not have the money to go and buy a new hand gun right now. So please no comments on other calibers

So between the two calibers which would be better? The .45 is slow and big and the .40 is faster but smaller.
fnp .45acp. order some buffalo bore https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=69 what you need when going undergunned is penetration and capacity. every round counts. 45 acp has enough energy in fmj format to get to the vitals if using 230grain fmj.

DO NOT use hollow point or other expanding bullets on dangerous game. using handguns on bears, even with a 500sw, the truth is your going to get mauled if the bear continues the attack and is not scared by the noise. secondly you will need blood clot pressure bandages tournequet and a means of calling for help and a gps to give your coordinates.

bears run at 30mph for tens of miles. you cannot run from one. they climb trees as well as a squirrel does...at 30mph... you cannot out climb one. they are stronger than you are you will not out wrestle one even if your grizzly adams. people that survive bear attacks self treat for first aid and get help quickly.

i would be more concerned with first aid a gps and a cellphone/satphone that works where your hiking.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Last edited by JonM; 09-10-2014 at 10:28 PM.
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:21 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 10459 Times on 5567 Posts
Likes Given: 22321

If a bear attacks you in your living room, the bear is at fault. If a bear attacks you in the forest, you were trespassing. Avoid the bears.
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
If a bear attacks you in your living room, the bear is at fault. If a bear attacks you in the forest, you were trespassing. Avoid the bears.
if a bear attacks you in the forest, the locals have not been killing enough bears. they are at fault
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

People Like This 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:41 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Aim for the eye. You can practice by bouncing a Ping pong ball down the range.
Pair up with someone you can outrun.
I apologize !
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:53 PM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1694 Times on 787 Posts
Likes Given: 459

Bears look at campers in sleeping bags as "TACO's"
US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt. Also a Tail hooker, US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member. VN vet, Bluenose and Shellback.

Alway keep your six covered
colmustard Likes This 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:57 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1230 Times on 848 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Tree huggers hike the Smokies all the time, unarmed, w/o incident.
I would take the. 1911 w/FMJ ammo.
Watch for scat. And cubs.
People Like This 
Old 09-10-2014, 11:59 PM   #8

Liked 605 Times on 314 Posts
Likes Given: 145

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
if a bear attacks you in the woods, and you shoot it with a 25 acp, will anyone hear it?
People Like This 
Old 09-11-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3568 Times on 1966 Posts
Likes Given: 1037

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Aim for the eye. You can practice by bouncing a Ping pong ball down the range.
Pair up with someone you can outrun.
I apologize !
Actually the nose is a bigger target and the largest opening into the skull. If you can find a 45ACP+P hardball or hard cast that is your best option with the pistol. You wont have time for more than a couple of rounds if it charges and you will be high on adrenaline. Bear spray is very effective but you will probably spray yourself too. If you encounter a bear make a lot of noise and try to make yourself look bigger than you are. Black bears are usually not that aggressive unless you get between them and a cub or come up on them on a kill. I said usually, they can be aggressive but it is not often

Last edited by JTJ; 09-11-2014 at 12:08 AM.
colmustard Likes This 
Old 09-11-2014, 12:04 AM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5 View Post
Tree huggers hike the Smokies all the time, unarmed, w/o incident.
I would take the. 1911 w/FMJ ammo.
Watch for scat. And cubs.
its like shark attacks in hawaii. the local media has no interest in publicizing animal attacks.

while i was stationed in hawaii shark attacks were a weekly occurance at local beaches on the northside of oahu. but you never saw the stories in local media. ambulances hauling off surfers all the time.

waimea bay on the north shore was my fav hangout off duty. i used to sit up on the top of the beach and watch the morons wipe out and get attacked by sharks. best day was three bites on three surfers one arm taken off. not a peep in the media.

bears in tourist areas same thing. happens all the time just doesnt make the news. popular myth is black bears are harmless. they are man killers no different than grizzlies

People Like This