Bear Country Hiking - revolver or semi-auto handgun? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Bear Country Hiking - revolver or semi-auto handgun?

View Poll Results: Which is better for bear country hiking?
Semi-auto handgun 6 13.04%
Revolver 40 86.96%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 70 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Revolver in 50bmg. No worries you dident need your hand or arm or sholder. Lol an old guy at my last job lived in alaska for 10 years, and when him and his friends weny hunting one carried a 44mag and the other carried a 45-70 revolver. Idk how long they have been making them in 45-70. Must be one hell of a kick.

you pew pew pew lately bro!?

Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Send a private message to Orangello. He will entertain your question.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:20 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2154 Times on 1480 Posts
Likes Given: 801

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Not sure why some of ya think a black bear is no big deal??? Care to elaborate?
While bear hunting, I watched a 300 Winchester Magnum rip through the vitals of a 6 foot tall black bear that then proceeded to destroy all the all the vegetation and tree limbs in reach, all the while biting at its side as if it was being stung by hornets. If a handgun stops a person only about 30 percent of the time, it wont stop a black bear that is stalking you comes charging out of the woods only feet away. You wont get many shots off at it, and most of you will have soiled yourself before you even think to bring the gun up. I'm just sayin'.
There are very few recorded black bear attacks. Unless you are in an area where people feed the bears or you are messing with cubs the black bear wants to run just as bad as you do.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #14

Liked 764 Times on 488 Posts
Likes Given: 240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anna_Purna View Post
Not sure why some of ya think a black bear is no big deal??? Care to elaborate?
While bear hunting, I watched a 300 Winchester Magnum rip through the vitals of a 6 foot tall black bear that then proceeded to destroy all the all the vegetation and tree limbs in reach, all the while biting at its side as if it was being stung by hornets. If a handgun stops a person only about 30 percent of the time, it wont stop a black bear that is stalking you comes charging out of the woods only feet away. You wont get many shots off at it, and most of you will have soiled yourself before you even think to bring the gun up. I'm just sayin'.
Blacks very seldom attack. If they do a fit human can often fight them off. If attacked by a black you fight. If attacked by a grizzly you play dead(so you start getting used to it).

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I voted revolver, because the bear will have a harder time crapping out a large-framed revolver. Kill them; kill them all.

Brown, Black, White, or calico, they are all evil in his sight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
We are humans. Bears are animals. We live in houses. Bears live in the forest. If a bear mauls you in your living room, that is a bear attack. If a bear mauls you in the forest, you were trespassing.
(Spin on shark attack joke.)
So, I guess you don't swat insects outside? EFFF that!

If a bear mauls you in your living room, you should repurpose it to a killing room and break out a chainsaw. If a bear mauls you in the forest, it's because you should have already killed it and its cubs.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiwall View Post
Blacks very seldom attack. If they do a fit human can often fight them off. If attacked by a black you fight. If attacked by a grizzly you play dead(so you start getting used to it).
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
There are very few recorded black bear attacks. Unless you are in an area where people feed the bears or you are messing with cubs the black bear wants to run just as bad as you do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fatal_bear_attacks_in_North_America

http://ext.nrs.wsu.edu/publications/Blackbears1.htm

" Black bear attacks are much more common in the United States than are grizzly bear attacks. "

Black bears DO attack. When they attack, it is mostly for wanting you as food, or as already said, by the mother bear protecting her young. And older ones in their last years where normal meat has become hard to hunt, are often recorded as the ones attacking humans. But hey, what do I know.

Feel free to armchair quarterback, but your wrong advice can get someone killed.

Last edited by Anna_Purna; 07-24-2013 at 08:12 PM.
johnr1943 Likes This 
Old 07-24-2013, 08:13 PM   #17

Liked 282 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 32

anna_purna How a animal reacts when shot has nothing to do with how it will treat you. Nothing. I say there not a big deal do the fact I have hunted black bear and been around them for 36 years in the woods. I also know most of the cartridges we use for defense will do on a bear just stay with a heavy bullet weight for cartridge. If one deside it just has to eat you treat it just like a 250lb crack head and dump a mag or cylinder into it. Other wise it my tend to act just like a 6 year old see'n some bad guy jumping out of a closet for the first time. 300 mag "rips thru" the vitals.. Really? Make it all so dramatic. Does the same thing with a arrow at 10 yards . Nothing a 9mm 40 , 45 or 357 mag revolver would do . Had bear start my tree stands too. Scared the bear way more than me. Just don't sneak around in the woods . Be natural . walk don't stalk and a bear will hear you befopre you see it most times and it will woff or bark at you. Carry bear spray for the wacked out bear and enjoy a day with nature.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
...I say there not a big deal do the fact I have hunted black bear and been around them for 36 years in the woods.
And bless you for it!

If one deside it just has to eat you treat it just like a 250lb crack head and dump a mag or cylinder into it.
This just makes me happy.
300 mag "rips thru" the vitals.. Really? Make it all so dramatic. Does the same thing with a arrow at 10 yards . Nothing a 9mm 40 , 45 or 357 mag revolver would do .
[cockels of heart warming, uncontrollable smile at the very thought of far flung bear innards and blood...]

Had bear start my tree stands too. Scared the bear way more than me.
Hopefully because the bear ended up dead and painfully so.

Just don't sneak around in the woods . Be natural . walk don't stalk and a bear will hear you befopre you see it most times and it will woff or bark at you. Carry bear spray for the wacked out bear and enjoy a day with nature.
Carry a saiga 12 loaded (maybe a nice AR in .500 Beowulf for the Barbie boys] with good slugs and help the next several people enjoy a nice bear-free woodland experience too.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:23 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6751 Times on 3669 Posts
Likes Given: 5796

Sitting in a tree stand and shooting at a bear down below that doesn't know you are there isn't really 'hunting' in my book. I can do the same with fish all day.
But thanks for the vast experience sharing.

Old 07-24-2013, 08:26 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

What about throwing steaks with nails in them to the bears at the park? Hunting? Charity? Good planning?