Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Bear Country Hiking - revolver or semi-auto handgun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/bear-country-hiking-revolver-semi-auto-handgun-94360/)

Marthor 07-24-2013 01:35 PM

Bear Country Hiking - revolver or semi-auto handgun?

I think the advantage of semi-auto is higher capacity and faster reload. The advantage of revolver is higher reliability.

Since bears don't travel in packs, you're probably only dealing with one bear. Even a mother with cubs, you'll only be dealing with the mother. So, I'm thinking revolver is the better choice of handgun overall for bear country hiking.

hardluk1 07-24-2013 03:06 PM

Another bear tread. Take some time and run some searchs first. Blackies are not a big deal, grizzlies !! Flip a coin, if you need a gun and have the baddest thing ever made at the ready will it work?? All depend on your situational awearness.

johnr1943 07-24-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor (Post 1313699)
I think the advantage of semi-auto is higher capacity and faster reload. The advantage of revolver is higher reliability.

Since bears don't travel in packs, you're probably only dealing with one bear. Even a mother with cubs, you'll only be dealing with the mother. So, I'm thinking revolver is the better choice of handgun overall for bear country hiking.

If it is black bears, I wouldn't be particularly concerned. Don't happen upon ANY bear by surprise if you can help it. A mom anywhere near her cub(s) is bad juju. If you are perceived as any kind of a threat, you may be in deep yogurt.

Brown bears... all bets are off. Twelve ga. pump may work here.

Check with the area attendent to see IF any bear have/are around is always a goood start. Of course, be sure to check your legal options first. :)

bigjim 07-24-2013 04:46 PM

As many are going to tell you, "GET BEAR SPRAY".

end of post.

Jim

MisterMcCool 07-24-2013 04:56 PM

We are humans. Bears are animals. We live in houses. Bears live in the forest. If a bear mauls you in your living room, that is a bear attack. If a bear mauls you in the forest, you were trespassing.
(Spin on shark attack joke.)

Anna_Purna 07-24-2013 05:02 PM

Not sure why some of ya think a black bear is no big deal??? Care to elaborate?
While bear hunting, I watched a 300 Winchester Magnum rip through the vitals of a 6 foot tall black bear that then proceeded to destroy all the all the vegetation and tree limbs in reach, all the while biting at its side as if it was being stung by hornets. If a handgun stops a person only about 30 percent of the time, it wont stop a black bear that is stalking you comes charging out of the woods only feet away. You wont get many shots off at it, and most of you will have soiled yourself before you even think to bring the gun up. I'm just sayin'.

firelooker 07-24-2013 05:11 PM

I asked this same question several yrs ago & was told by many to carry my .44 mag Taurus tracker for bear protection although no handgun except maybe one of those new hand cannons is adequate for bear.

Overkill0084 07-24-2013 05:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marthor (Post 1313699)
I think the advantage of semi-auto is higher capacity and faster reload.
The advantage of revolver is higher reliability.

Your forgetting the other advantage that revolvers have: The easy availability of much higher power chamberings than a semi-autos. (the big Desert Eagles & .460 Rowlands are fairly rare.)

winds-of-change 07-24-2013 05:21 PM

In my very little bit of gun knowledge, I would say a .44 magnum revolver and a few well placed shots.

kryptar19 07-24-2013 05:24 PM

10mm with some hot loads in it. This would work well for a semi-auto.

454 casual for a revolver.