Bear Country
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Bear Country

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:56 PM   #1
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

Default Bear Country

We will be traveling with our RV this summer and will probably end up in bear country. We kayak, bike and hike. I always keep a 12 gauge next to the bed and in bear country I load slugs. When we hike I carry a pistol but I am trying to figure out which one. My ccw is good where we are going.
Ruger SP101 2" 158gr TMJ 1100-1200fps 5rnds 28 oz loaded
Glock 36 185gr TMJFN 1000fps 7rnds 28 oz loaded
Steyr M40 165gr TMJFN 1150fps 13rnds 35 oz loaded
180gr FMJ 1000fps

A 44mag or bigger would be nice but I dont have one. I will also have bear spray.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2011, 08:42 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Don't forget the reinforced bumper, just in case you see one dining at the Roadkill Cafe. Bumper Tap FTW!

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-06-2011, 08:53 PM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

If a bear is determined enough to attack you, it will most likely be a Brown bear. They seem to be the most aggressive by their nature. Use that bear spray first to distract and blind, then use your choice of handgun, targeting nose, eyes and mouth.

How fast can you run and how are your tree climbing abilities?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-06-2011, 09:19 PM   #4

Liked 303 Times on 202 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Don't discount the Black Bears either. Usually they are clown like but don't be fooled. They can get your arse too.

Old 06-06-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5498 Times on 2871 Posts
Likes Given: 357

only vulnerable point on a bear from the front with a handgun is its nose. the hole in the skull at the nose is about the size of a small fist. i would take whatever gun your the most accurate with and most familiar with. unlike SD vs a goblin, bear encounters tend to start a bit further out with lots of threats by the bear before an actual charge. you will liekly have time to aim and fire a warning shot to scare it off then re-aim if it doesnt run.

LAST thing i would do is wait till its close enough to use a spray device!!!!!

bears like spicy food.

if the bear is diseased or wounded your prolly doomed anyway :/

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 06-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrm14 View Post
Don't discount the Black Bears either. Usually they are clown like but don't be fooled. They can get your arse too.
Some interesting intel about Black bear attacks. Recently published.

Most black bear attacks, though rare, are by males | Biodiversity | EarthSky

As both JonM and I have stated, shoot them preferably in the nose, it leads right to the brain.

Black bear skull nasal cavity.

Grizzly (Brown) bear skull nasal cavity.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-07-2011, 01:34 AM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hiking in Bear country is serious business. All family members should where bells somewhere on their clothing. You definitely to not want to startle a mother black bear and her cubs, who if they had heard the jingling bells would have gotten outta the area. You should also carry some from of pepper spray. It is also important to be able to identify the signs that bears are in the area. There are two types of bears to concern yourself with. The black bear and a grizzly. the tracks will look basically the same. but there scat is much different. Black's being mostly herbivorous will have berries and fur from smaller mammals. Now the grizzly **** will smell like pepper and have bells in there..

Old 06-07-2011, 01:55 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2083 Times on 1134 Posts
Likes Given: 753

In black bear country, I'd be satisfied with the .40, .45, or .357. In grizzly country, .44 mag is probably the smallest I'd be comfortable with. I'd prefer it in a carbine, but that's difficult to carry.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 06-07-2011, 03:10 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1847 Times on 1000 Posts
Likes Given: 563

When I was in Alaska I carried a 12 gauge with slugs. Forest service does not like to see people running around with a rifle or shotgun. I can hide the pistol. I did not know about the nasal cavity. That gives me a little (very little) more confidence in a pistol.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 06-07-2011, 03:54 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

My daughter,The Lovely Miss Freefall, is going to Anvik as a fish counter. F&G provides a shotgun. She is taking her Colt 10mm, stoked with Buffalo Bore 220 gr hardcast alternating with BB 200 gr FMJ. I advocate shooting center line to try to hit the spine. The odds of aligning your bullet path with the nasal channel seem slim unless you kneel to face the charging bear. Which according to law enforcement experiments up here is the best way to hit the vital area of something approaching you at 35 mph.