Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Barrels

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-22-2009, 12:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Default Barrels

Are there any companies that make blued barrels for 1911's. To possibly make a true Blacked Out 1911. Would a carbon barrel be "inferior" to a stainless one as far as accuracy, reliability? And how would it keep its blueing?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-22-2009, 03:16 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Metals

The alloy steels used is important to say stainless steel is the best doesent alway's make it a better or worse barrel, its allot of how they are worked (boreing,reaming, buttonrifleing)Stainless steel is a alloy, the barrel steel (0S?) i cannot recall the special identifier of the steel alloy (Blued barrels are from) I do know that top performing target pistols and rifles are made with both types steels. I once had some blueing wear off my remington 700BDL in .17Remington so I thought I would just use some cold blue to touch up the spots on the barrel, long story short that barrel had enough chrome in the steel alloy it wouldent allow the blueing to take, wonderfull shooting rifle with a alloy steel barrel.
There is the science of metals called Metalurgey its pretty interesting stuff in itself when considering heat treating, hardsurfacing, nitrideing, the different methods used in machining, thermal rates of expansion is just the tip of the iceberg of the metals arena.

Last edited by Rex in OTZ; 10-22-2009 at 03:23 AM.