Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Default Ballistics as Viewed in a Morgue

This is interesting....

Terminal ballistics as viewed in a morgue

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-05-2012, 11:50 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

That was a good enough read I had to save it to review it again later. Thank you for the link.

EXPENDABLE

Old 01-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

About 8 paragraphs in, I have bookmarked it for later reading. Thanks for sharing this !

Old 01-06-2012, 01:37 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just had to read this out to my wife. She's in total shock as we don't live far from Atlanta. Definately an eye opener.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:13 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2002 Times on 1086 Posts
Likes Given: 721

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic82 View Post
Long article. What's the jist of it?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-06-2012, 03:35 AM   #6

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Very good read will read again when I get a chance to get on my laptop.

Last edited by lyodbraun; 01-06-2012 at 03:37 AM.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:45 AM   #7

Liked 749 Times on 477 Posts
Likes Given: 586

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Long article. What's the jist of it?
I read this about a year ago and haven't re-read it. If I remember, he's a retired LEO now working in his retirement years in a Medical Examiner Unit in Atlanta. He discusses, in laymans terms, his observations of the effects of various calibers on deceased victims as a morgue employee. He draws various conclusions on effectiveness of common ammunition. It's not real technical, there are tons of those articles concerning ballistics...I liked it because it's real life observations, something you don't hear often.

Just wanted to add why I remembered the article; I had just bought my SIG P229 in .40SW. I had researched the .40 extensively before I bought it. Time after time the .40 would get slammed with the 'Short and Weak' (SW) business. I purchased it anyway. I then stumbled on the link I posted and he explains that he thinks the .40 is a decent, effective round. Which made me feel pretty good about it

The comments made herein are those solely of this writer and in no way reflect the opinions of any other person, agency, or entity.

Last edited by Sonic82; 01-06-2012 at 05:01 AM.

Old 01-06-2012, 04:16 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I found that site quite a while ago and found it interesting as well. While there are a lot of articles and writings on various aspects of ballistics, it is rather uncommon to find any research on the actually effectiveness of bullets beyond gel tests. While the information is not presented in scientific terms, and is somewhat limited in the number of circumstances being discussed, it is still very valuable.

We seem to have a lot of posts here asking for advice on caliber and bullet selection both. Everyone is certainly welcome to their own opinion, and I do indeed have one as well. I think that what is brought to light in this article is that shot placement is first and foremost in importance, and that caliber and bullet type are much less of a concern than many would like to think. All that being said, it cannot be argued that a large hole in vital organs will almost always get the job done. Whether you are talking about four legged critters or two, big holes let lots of blood out and lots of air in. There is always a balance to be struck between caliber, velocity, expansion, penetration and a host of other factors. My experience on game animals (with handguns) is that bigger is gooder. Large diameter, heavy bullets at moderate velocity, when placed properly, have never failed me. I think the same is true when talking about defensive ammo. Velocity is fine, as is expansion, but the bullet must penetrate deep enough to reach vital organs and be of adequate size to do substantial damage to tissue.

Another poster made mention of people referring to the .40 S&W as the .40 short and weak. Most of us that pick on the forty do so more in jest than anything, and mean no real harm to anyone's (overly)sensitive feelings. While I do prefer the 10mm over the .40, this is not to speak poorly of the cartridge. The .40S&W has proven itself to be a fine cartridge for the intended purpose over a fairly significant time period. It is however shorter and weaker than true full power 10mm loads, thus the nickname. I have nothing against the forty, I'm just don't think that it has any particular advantage over other cartridges that I prefer. There is always a trade off between various elements, and the .40 fits well into the re that is was created for. It is a medium bore, moderate velocity cartridge that can be put into a reasonably small package. There is nothing "wrong" with any of that.

JW

Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 PM   #9

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Nice article, but I question the part about looking at an x-ray and counting the hits. One bullet means 40 or 45, multiple mean 380 or 9mm. I don't care if you are carrying a 44 mag, if you are threatened to the point of requiring lethal force you better be putting more than one round in your target. No gun gives a guaranteed one shot kill every single time. Especially if the guy is a practitioner of modern chemistry.

Old 01-06-2012, 05:18 PM   #10

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladin201
Nice article, but I question the part about looking at an x-ray and counting the hits. One bullet means 40 or 45, multiple mean 380 or 9mm. I don't care if you are carrying a 44 mag, if you are threatened to the point of requiring lethal force you better be putting more than one round in your target. No gun gives a guaranteed one shot kill every single time. Especially if the guy is a practitioner of modern chemistry.
I think a .50 BMG to the grape might challenge that theory...