Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Ballester Molina

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 284 Times on 246 Posts

The only recognizable difference I see is lack of grip safety. Other than that I'd say who cares. I really don't understand the snobbery around the "A1" stuff. But to reach their own.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:14 PM   #12

Liked 1963 Times on 1164 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
The only recognizable difference I see is lack of grip safety. Other than that I'd say who cares. I really don't understand the snobbery around the "A1" stuff. But to reach their own.

Not exactly snobbery, but some folks get confused, and think that a Ballester is a 1911 design that will have parts interchangeability with a 1911A1, and they do not. While the Sistema guns do, because they were built in a Colt liscensed factory, set up to make 1911s on Colt tools.

The Ballester is a fine pistol in it's own right. It's just nice to know that people have an understanding of what they are buying, and not let them go down a path to disappointment, if they thought they were getting a bargain 1911 that they could buy replacement parts for from multiple manufacturers.

Polish Radom VIS 35 pistols are also a well made pistol, but do not share compatability with a 1911, while they do share a similar look and design.

Old 04-01-2013, 09:42 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2572 Times on 1288 Posts
Likes Given: 245

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox View Post
The engineering of the trigger setup is completely different as well.
Like SSGN_Doc said, it's about education. The BMs aren't the only one, Stars and some of the old Llamas looked like 1911s but were very different when it was time to buy parts. There have been some very angry folks who thought they were getting a screaming great deal on a "1911" when it turned out it was only 1911ish.
In an era when one can walk into a gun shop and buy any number of NIB $400ish 1911s that will accept Milspec 1911 parts, it's not really all about snobbery, its about ensuring that people know what they're getting into.
NRA Life Member

"If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert, in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand."
Milton Friedman

Last edited by Overkill0084; 04-01-2013 at 09:47 PM.