Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Bad jam (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/bad-jam-91101/)

JolietGunner 05-22-2013 08:38 PM

Bad jam

I was just at the range and my gun jammed.I have a S&W 22a.What happend was I pit a mag in and cocked it and the gun wouldnt fire our let me pull the rack back to clear.A worker at the range was nice enough to help.He took the gun into the shop and cleared it then brought it back to me. my question is what did he do so I know for next time?

orangello 05-22-2013 08:44 PM

Thought it was a food recall for a minute there.

I wonder if he didn't just apply more force than would be pleasing to watch using a rubber mallet?

JolietGunner 05-22-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orangello
Thought it was a food recall for a minute there.

I wonder if he didn't just apply more force than would be pleasing to watch using a rubber mallet?

Ya im asking whats safe to do with a live round in it?

fa35jsf 05-22-2013 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JolietGunner (Post 1255079)
Ya im asking whats safe to do with a live round in it?

Anything you have to do to get it out. Just keep it pointed down range and keep everything away from the muzzle and eyes and ears on. Basically, use common sense and be aware of every finger and where it is in relation to the muzzle. I have had some pretty bad jams before too, some that just require a few strong hits.

JolietGunner 05-22-2013 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fa35jsf

Anything you have to do to get it out. Just keep it pointed down range and keep everything away from the muzzle and eyes and ears on. Basically, use common sense and be aware of every finger and where it is in relation to the muzzle. I have had some pretty bad jams before too, some that just require a few strong hits.

I couldnt pull the rack back at all it was in the closed position

BeyondTheBox 05-23-2013 04:38 AM

Did you drop the mag? Honestly that's the first thing you should do, not only is it safest, but it's also most productive in clearing a jam. Other than that, force is key!

JolietGunner 05-23-2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
Did you drop the mag? Honestly that's the first thing you should do, not only is it safest, but it's also most productive in clearing a jam. Other than that, force is key!

yes I drop the mag as soon as a gun jams.Is it safe to disassemble if the rack wont move?

BeyondTheBox 05-23-2013 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JolietGunner (Post 1255908)

yes I drop the mag as soon as a gun jams.Is it safe to disassemble if the rack wont move?

That just doesn't make sense to me. Did you shine a light into the mag well? You can keep the muzzle pointed down range, just flip upside down and take a peak... having eyes on the problem helps to understand what is needed to correct it.

Stupid question, are you sure your safety was off? Many safeties are a slide lock function.

JolietGunner 05-23-2013 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox

That just doesn't make sense to me. Did you shine a light into the mag well? You can keep the muzzle pointed down range, just flip upside down and take a peak... having eyes on the problem helps to understand what is needed to correct it.

Stupid question, are you sure your safety was off? Many safeties are a slide lock function.

Ya the safety was off

BeyondTheBox 05-23-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JolietGunner (Post 1256033)

Ya the safety was off

Hmmmm.. very odd m'man, you've got me.