Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Is this bad?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #11
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6679 Times on 4039 Posts
Likes Given: 7944

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympus View Post
That I've been thinking about trading/selling my Ruger SR9c in order to get the Kimber Solo? I really like my Ruger and it's been a great gun. When I first saw the photos of the Solo I thought it was terribly ugly. And the reviews so far have not been too stellar either. But now the more I see it, the more I kind of want one.

Is it bad that I'm having these thoughts?
You'll be sorry you sold the Ruger. Don't you read all those posts where people say they regret selling a particular gun? I see posts like that.............a lot! Save up so you can have both.

Old 10-18-2011, 10:40 PM   #12

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

Man, I guess I needed a reality check. Happens from time to time...

Old 10-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #13

Im a kimber fan i really like their 1911's. It is my favorite one i have, but i have to agree with everyone else on the solo. I saw one at a gunshow and was not very impressed at all. I have not shot one but the fit and finish was not what i have come to expect from kimber

Old 10-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #14

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would compare that to a bad trade I recently made. A great Remington 552 Speed Master for a Browning .22 T-Bolt, big mistake I regret. Do yourself a favor and keep your pistol and save up for the Solo, then save a little more for the $65.00 FedEx each time back to Kimber. At least wait another year until they get the bugs out. Seems like two out of three people who have bought them are having problems with that new production gun. BTW, I have two Kimbers that are flawless. Just my .03 cents.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1082 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 610

keep the ruger. its a great pistol ruger did well making it. as far as the kimber. no expriences except for the pictures ive seen.

when I am torn into strips and used as bandages
for my wounded comrades on the battlefield,
When I fly at half-mast to honor my soldiers,
Or when I lie in the trembling arms
of a grieving mother
at the graveside of her fallen son.

Old 10-19-2011, 02:19 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845
I would compare that to a bad trade I recently made. A great Remington 552 Speed Master for a Browning .22 T-Bolt, big mistake I regret. Do yourself a favor and keep your pistol and save up for the Solo, then save a little more for the $65.00 FedEx each time back to Kimber. At least wait another year until they get the bugs out. Seems like two out of three people who have bought them are having problems with that new production gun. BTW, I have two Kimbers that are flawless. Just my .03 cents.
Man Dennis, what's wrong with the .22LR T-Bolt? That's on my short list too, the target/Varmint model at least. Don't tell me I picked another loser with the new T-Bolts too!

Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 217 Times on 175 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I think I may end up buying a Kimber Solo...in a year or two, at which point I'm hoping it's been developed into a reliable shooter. I wouldn't touch one right now, especially if you've already got a more reliable option that set you back half as much.

I continue to believe the Kimber Solo has tremendous potential. A few people I shoot with said they were pretty impressed with it's performance when it ran well. But they also stated that (in their experience) it only cycled reliably with +p ammunition...which is a handful in that gun, and makes for quite an expensive appetite at the range.

Stick with the Ruger for now. If you want a nicer micro 9mm buy a Kahr PM9. If your pockets run deep, there's also the Rohrbaugh R9.

Old 10-19-2011, 01:50 PM   #18

Pretty convincing arguments... maybe I'll cancel my Solo on order.

Since they haven't even ordered a production run yet (on the ss version) I'm about tired of waiting anyway.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:32 PM   #19

Liked 1692 Times on 1089 Posts
Likes Given: 860

Yes. Impure thoughts! Impure thoughts!
40 Novenas and two hundred thirty Hail Mary's for you.

Old 10-21-2011, 03:59 PM   #20

Well, I just went to the LGS and fondled some different guns. I fondled the Glock 26, but it was too thick for my liking for an EDC. Same with the M&P compact. I tried the Ruger LC9 and it was much better in terms of weight and comfort. Very slim and easy to conceal. The bad part was the trigger. I thought it was terrible. What I didn't imagine I would like is the Sig 238. I was very impressed with the fit and finish on that gun. Racking the slide and manipulating the controls gives the impression that it's very high quality and made very well. Size is great, but I'm still on the fence with the caliber.

One small confession, I had my name put on the waiting list for a Kimber Solo AFA (against forum advice). The shop got 4 in a few weeks ago and they are selling them for $640. Hard to beat that price and maybe this way I will get to at least fondle one before I buy.