Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Is this bad? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/bad-50076/)

Olympus 10-18-2011 04:06 PM

Is this bad?

That I've been thinking about trading/selling my Ruger SR9c in order to get the Kimber Solo? I really like my Ruger and it's been a great gun. When I first saw the photos of the Solo I thought it was terribly ugly. And the reviews so far have not been too stellar either. But now the more I see it, the more I kind of want one.

Is it bad that I'm having these thoughts?

Firearms4ever 10-18-2011 04:09 PM

I would keep the Ruger. The reports and reviews I've read so far on the Solo have not been good either. Besides the Ruger SR9c being a great gun (from my experience with it) it also has the advantage of having a lifetime warranty whereas Kimber only offers a one year warranty.

Olympus 10-18-2011 04:13 PM

Ah-ha. I failed to consider the warranty differences. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Firearms4ever 10-18-2011 04:14 PM

You're welcome, Olympus. Kimber makes some good handguns, but the warranty issue and the fact some of their firearms are a hit or miss turn me away from Kimber.

Gojubrian 10-18-2011 04:58 PM

If you have a little 9mm that works, keep it! The solo isn't worth near what they're asking imo.

Olympus 10-18-2011 05:48 PM

I agree. They've got them all hyped up and they're probably keeping the supply low to build even more hype to keep the price up. I doubt I would pay the prices that they're at on GB right now, that's for sure.

hnirider 10-18-2011 09:59 PM

I don't own a Kimber but I do have a Solo Carry on order. I won't speak to the quality at the range as I've seen the negative reviews too, but I do see them continually beat up on the price point.

Compared to the carry Kahr PM9, Walther PPS and Ruger LC9, the other pistols I considered, the price difference didn't strike me as that bad... and having held and inspected all side-by-side, I think the Solo Carry is worth a little more.

Hopefully my opinion won't change when I FINALLY get mine and have the chance to shoot it : )

Werminator 10-18-2011 10:09 PM

I just read an article from Guns&Ammo comparing and contrasting the Springfield EMP, Ruger LC9, Kimber Solo, Kahr PM9, and Sig 290 (or 250... memory is shot more than my pistols!)... There were 3 or 4 guys who all handled the 5 pistols sharing their thoughts and then each gun had over 1200 rounds through them comparing accuracy and ergonomics... I think the Kimber is pretty but the guys writing this article ranked the Solo pretty low. Infact, if I remember correctly, only the Sig rated lower... Price considered, I would look elsewhere if you want something other than your SR9c... I have the fullsize SR9 and I am in love after over a year and 3,000 plus rounds of everything I could get my hands on...

fmj 10-18-2011 10:22 PM

YES it IS bad!

Put the Kimber down and back a way.

altho pretty i have yet to see one perform any better than a weapon 1/4-1/2 the price.

Simply put, Kimbers AINT worth the coin they demand!

I have an old rule of thumb that has worked out pretty well for me. I never buy the most expensive of something (Kimber) nor do i buy the cheapest of something (typically Taurus or Rossi)

canebrake 10-18-2011 10:22 PM

I shot one and it was junk!

Fit and finish was poor and the gun looked long in the tooth even though it was almost brand new.

I think Kimber came up short on this offering! I'd stick with the SR9C.

Want more proof?

Let me google that for you

Not quite "glock-leg" status......yet!