Background Check Delayed...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Background Check Delayed...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2011, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1102 Times on 677 Posts
Likes Given: 2389

Default Background Check Delayed...

So I go to the LGS with the intent to pick up a shiny new Gen 3 G23 along with a Ruger LCR in .357. Sounds good right? Wrong!

I had been waiting for this day for some time now. I finally had the money and the time to go pick them up. Its maddening (yes I do have the instant gratification bug)! So, I fill out the paperwork, sit patiently for 10 minutes or so, and then I am told I will have to wait. Never had this happen before. However, knowing it happens from time to time so it got me thinking...

Has anyone else had this happen before? What was the wait time like for you? Is there some random number of people who get investigated deeper each day?

Thanks and have a nice day!

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."
---Dr. Martin Luther King

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Last edited by BigByrd47119; 02-12-2011 at 04:13 AM. Reason: spelling

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 AM   #2

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

well dude I hate to tell you this but here in PRK we wait ten days to get our guns and you can only buy one pistol per month.

But I know if I waited the 10 days and it got delayed I would hate it. But I would be more concerned with why it was delayed

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-12-2011, 04:29 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'd be pretty frustrated too...I haven't even had to be called in for a background check in a good while. Just show them my driver's license and concealed carry permit, fill out a quick form, and I'm out the door with my new friends. Bought a new gun this morning...took less than ten minutes.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 02-12-2011, 05:10 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I had a delay once, a phone call to Cal. DOJ cleared it up in ten minutes. Stuff happens.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-12-2011, 07:37 AM   #5

Liked 650 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 5125

for the first couple of firearms that i purchased, before 2003, NADA, then, all-of-a-sudden..................delayed. don't know why, cuz 3 days later all is well and i can pick it up (with no call back). i have no record, and have NO idea why.

IT DOES GIVE ME THE RED@SS THOUGH............SUMTHIN' FIERCE!

"they may get me in a rush, but not before i turn your head into a canoe....." -Kurt Russell (Wyatt Earp) in Tombstone

"if it was up to me, i'd like to see, this country run,
the way it used to be, the way it oughta be, just like it's done, OUT HERE.........WAY OUT HERE." -Josh Thompson, country music singer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D0sYnro_3Rc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3R00rlA0S0&NR=1

PEOPLE TEND TO ACT LIKE SHEEP, BOY I LOVE MUTTON! -Me

Old 02-12-2011, 07:45 AM   #6
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

There are reasons. Your name may match the name of someone who cannot purchase a firearm. You may have a thing in your past that is questionable. Or other reasons.

The BATF has an area on their website in the FAQ if you want to research a little more. I think that specific question is there.

If the response is not cleared in the appropriate number of days, get back with your FFL.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 02-12-2011, 08:08 AM   #7

Thanks for the replies fellas,

I did have an Agg. Menacing (1st degree MM) from 7 years ago (I was 14). That wasn't an issue when I bought my Mossberg or my Ruger 10/22 however, those checks took all of 10 min max.

It makes me wonder why but I'm not too concerned, there is nothing that should stop me from clearing the check. Its more of a fear of the unknown. It would be nice if the person on the other end of the phone could talk to you on the spot to attempt to clear up any issues!

So unless it clears today (02/12) it'll have to wait until Tuesday when I get back from Michigan .

One last question. Is it the dealers responsibility to call back each day to see if it clears or do the feds contact the dealer?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.”
---Ron Paul

"He who passively accepts evil is as much involved in it as he who helps to perpetuate it."

"If you think we are free today, you know nothing about tyranny and even less about freedom."
---Tom Braun

Old 02-12-2011, 09:19 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3113 Times on 1788 Posts
Likes Given: 1325

The form 4473 has info. You can print a copy from the BATF website (there is a 4473 you can complete to a point and print out to take to your FFL).
If the FFL does not receive info within so many days once a delay is in effect, the firearm transfer may then be completed (provided all other requirements have been met).

As a side note: I've had delays for people who have the CWP. In FL, normally, if you have a CWP, you do not have the mandatory 3 day waiting period for a handgun, unless the delay is put in effect.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 02-12-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:50 PM   #9

**UPDATE**

So I got the phone call today around 3pm eastern! They gave me the green light of course. All in all it was about a 27 hour wait, if you dont count the weekend.

Now just to travel back home tommorow and pick'em up!

---Ron Paul

---Tom Braun