Background Check - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Background Check

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 124

I was 16, early 70's and was arrested for criminal trespass. It was a stupid mistake on my part and did not mean any harm. The charges were quickly dismissed because of the loving kindness of my father who hired an attorney. I would not have had the career I've lived or any weapons permit. At least not in NYS. To this day when I make certain applications at work or for fed licenses I have to file a disposition paper. And as I said that was forty years ago.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:38 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolietGunner View Post
So I got this other number for the state police.I figured I would call it and see where the hell my FOID card was (firearms owner id).So they look me up and say Im in the background check area.Then she digs a little more and says I have an arrest and their investagating it.The only time I got in police trouble was in hs for fighting.Do you think Im iI will be denied?
NOTE: This is not a joke. I am not being sarcastic.

It is entirely possible that they are checking to make sure you have paid your debt to society. Many people jump bail, and they take extra time to make sure there are no outstanding wants or warrants out for you as a result of your arrest. If the case was dropped for whatever reason they will find that and issue the card.

I am sincerely hoping your parents did not apply to have the record sealed. That will drag things out even longer.

Old 03-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2396 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Or they could have you confused with another person with the same name.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:05 PM   #24

Liked 232 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ
Or they could have you confused with another person with the same name.
This is very possible. Around 10 years ago it would always take a day or two for the phone in background check to clear me every time I bought a gun. A buddy with an FFL said I probably had a similar name/D.O.B. as somebody with an issue.
Last few years it has come back immediately no problems.

Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 PM   #25
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2396 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 690

I had a friend who had the same name as a deadbeat and was constantly having problems. He had to have an unlisted number because of the bill collectors and also had to keep a lawyer on retainer. He got arrested once on an outstanding warrant on the deadbeat. The city had to settle a law suit on that one but there were no more police hassles after that.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 03-31-2013, 07:59 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

You never know. Took the course with my girl friend and she flunked the fingerprint deal 3 times, never got em approved but got her permit 10 days before mine.

Old 04-02-2013, 02:55 AM   #27
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1111 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I had a friend who had the same name as a deadbeat and was constantly having problems. He had to have an unlisted number because of the bill collectors and also had to keep a lawyer on retainer. He got arrested once on an outstanding warrant on the deadbeat. The city had to settle a law suit on that one but there were no more police hassles after that.
I had a friend in the same situation and it got him a DUI. He was changing a flat tire along the side of the road both he and his wife were outside of the vehicle, wife had not been drinking. When the cops heard the name they did a field sobriety test and hauled him off.

I have a suspicion that his mouth made the officers less likely to spend a lot of time trying to prove who was actually driving.

Old 04-02-2013, 07:00 PM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1768 Times on 989 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4U View Post
I had a friend in the same situation and it got him a DUI. He was changing a flat tire along the side of the road both he and his wife were outside of the vehicle, wife had not been drinking. When the cops heard the name they did a field sobriety test and hauled him off.

I have a suspicion that his mouth made the officers less likely to spend a lot of time trying to prove who was actually driving.
Funny how that works, isn't it? We called it contempt of cop. Studies show that people inflicted with it are known to cause writer's cramp in members of the law enforcement community.

Old 04-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2077 Times on 1228 Posts
Likes Given: 1019

I have had an FFL for over 20 years and background checks are a joke!!!
I have had three refusals and all three were because the legal system did not keep good records. I know several other FFl holders and ALL of them have had the same experiences I have!!!

An armed society is not always a polite society, but it is a free and safe society!
Self Defense is an absolute and natural right!
Keep your head down and your powder dry!