Army wants a new handgun - Page 23
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Army wants a new handgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2014, 09:14 AM   #221
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3382 Times on 2288 Posts
Likes Given: 710

Default well

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
maybe this will put the issue to rest. i t looks like the US Army is renewing their contract with Beretta for five more years and additional M9's.

i would hardly think they would be renewing a contract with a current supplier if they were looking at replacing what they were getting from that supplier and going to a different caliber. that hardly make any sense.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/07/30/us-army-buys-beretta-m9-pistols/
maybe,..maybe not. They Might need replacements for 30+ Y.O. frames that Can't be repaired...

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-31-2014, 09:20 AM   #222
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22310 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFootball View Post
maybe,..maybe not. They Might need replacements for 30+ Y.O. frames that Can't be repaired...
another article i read said their last large order was in 2006 or 2007 for about 70,000 M9's.

i am sure that will probably be addressed at some point with additional orders as needed.
DrFootball Likes This 
Old 07-31-2014, 01:40 PM   #223
Si Vis Pacem,Para Bellum
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 463 Times on 297 Posts
Likes Given: 1456

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
maybe this will put the issue to rest. i t looks like the US Army is renewing their contract with Beretta for five more years and additional M9's.

i would hardly think they would be renewing a contract with a current supplier if they were looking at replacing what they were getting from that supplier and going to a different caliber. that hardly make any sense.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2014/07/30/us-army-buys-beretta-m9-pistols/
They still have to get through the testing phases of selecting a new handgun,and giving a company enough time to produce the quantity of handguns they will need to out fit the army.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:38 PM   #224
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1341 Times on 658 Posts
Likes Given: 830

I know a guy that hauls brush regularly in his pick-up.
He piles it on until it is about three feet deep, then climbs into the bed with a chain saw and 'stirs' the brush with the saw until it sinks down, then piles more in and repeats the 'stirring' until the bed is packed full.

He has done this for a long time: He is very experienced.
He is an idiot, and undoubtedly will - sooner or later - cut into the bed of the truck, or into his own foot.

Moral: Experience is no substitute for learning and practicing safe operation of any tool.

Jesus Christ told me to be armed.
The government wants me disarmed.
Guess which one I will obey?
kryptar19 Likes This 
Old 08-02-2014, 11:52 AM   #225

Liked 1336 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

WOW, that is all kinds of dumb right there!^^^
I don't see what the problem is. Everybody is being nice, and getting along, and I, for one, am learning stuff. So, if you don't like the discussion, don't look at the thread. Or, simply cut to the chase, and close it.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:22 PM   #226

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinbucket View Post
If they used hollow point .357s a hit would take off an arm, or most of a leg of center of mass most of the organs. You will go down now. You won't survive usually.
The Army does have to think about that pesky Geneva Convention so hollow points are right out.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:13 AM   #227

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDude View Post
The Army does have to think about that pesky Geneva Convention so hollow points are right out.
The US wasn't part of the Hague Convention. Legally the US could use hollow points. However, since all nations obey that convention, any US soldier captured with hollow points would probably be shot through the head with one.

Old 08-06-2014, 12:22 AM   #228

Liked 55 Times on 43 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
For the arguments about Glock I will offer some questions.

What is considered a light enough pull or short enough pull to qualify for non-deliberate firing?

The 1911 has a darned short trigger travel, and reset, as well as pull compared to a Glock. I also find grip safeties useless in preventing self inflicted gunshot wounds while drawing or holstering as the web of the hand has already inactivated that safety during those operations. Seen manual safeties swept off accidentally or seen plungers and detent worn to the point that keeping the safety on was not a sure thing. Seen folks forget to activate safeties.

Been around a lot of guns. The two self inflicted leg shots I've seen as patients were from 1911s. Haven't treated any glock victims unless they were shot intentionally by someone else.
A heavier trigger is not safer than a lighter trigger. It is just an excuse for piss poor gun handling. Keep your finger out of the trigger guard when you are not pulling the trigger!

Old 08-06-2014, 12:43 AM   #229
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 799 Times on 529 Posts

Hahaha. Well said. 👍

Sent from my iPad using Firearms Talk