Armored Cavalry by Tom Clancy - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Armored Cavalry by Tom Clancy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I met TC a long, long, time ago, for maybe 3 minutes. So far back in time that the 1911a1 was still the issue sidearm and our battleships were getting fitted with the new-fangled cruise missiles. Back then he was doing research on that book about a capture of a submarine. He wanted it accurate so he was visiting a building where other people who knew things could tell him stuff he could put in the book. Point is he is no more a subject matter expert on pistols than he is on subs, tanks, or drug cartels. Reads papers and talks to others for their feedback. Good research technique, and I wish more authors did so (grow so tired of 'slipping his silencer onto the Detective Special,' and the ilk), but that is a long ways away from doing and experience. Clearly someone who preferred 9s to .45s told him that once or twice and he just wrote whatever the person with the anti-45 axe to grind told him. Equally obvious he has never looked at them on a Taylor scale (see Energy Calculator or read "African Rifles and Cartridges," by John Taylor 1948 to learn how to do your own workups), nor has he shot some deer (or people) at close range with either, any more than he has seen genuine combat from inside a tank. Using the link above factory ball gives my Luger (124 gr at 1200 fps) a Taylor rating of 7 vs. the Taylor rating of 12 for the 45 (230 grain at 860) ACP. [Incidentally, my favorite deer load with a hot .45 Colt (250 gr @ 1500+) in a Winchester 94AE jumps up to Taylor 22, which is probably why that .45 load does such a neat job on Bambi. A ,308 at 150 gr. at 2700 fps comes in at only 17 on the Taylor scale which is pretty much my own experience when killing Bambi or his relatives.]

Deer and people are both 150 - 250 pound mammals with adrenal glands and you should view them the same when rating handguns. Those who claim the deer are magically stronger and tougher because they live outside should consider so do hobos and some thugs.

Last edited by superc; 08-19-2010 at 09:34 AM. Reason: added 3 words and commas

Old 08-21-2010, 02:08 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
So... Overall, did you like the Armored Cavalry book?
I used to read all his books but he is not the writer once was. He was just repeating what the talking heads were saying in the Army. I lost respect with him after reading his last several books. Some other`s might disagree but I no longer have a good opinion of his books. I did not care for the book.

Patret