Armored Cavalry by Tom Clancy
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Armored Cavalry by Tom Clancy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Armored Cavalry by Tom Clancy

I just finished a book written by Tom Clancy and there were no other co- Authors mentioned. He made a statement that I don`t agree with. He stated that a Beretta M9 with a standard NATO round had the same stopping power as the 45 ACP at close range. I don`t agree with this statement. Does anyone else have a opinion?

patret

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 02:35 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8692 Times on 3764 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Well, ON PAPER- they are similar. The 9mm NATO is basically a 124 gr +P cartridge, and the muzzle energy is about the same- around 350 ft lbs for 9mm NATO and a 230 gr FMJ .45 ACP.

However, if I was making the call, I would go with fat and slow. Once heard a gent say that a bigger hole lets air in, blood out. Considering that in military use they will all be FMJ, cannot but feel that the bigger bullet will mor efficently transfer energy.

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Last edited by c3shooter; 08-15-2010 at 02:43 AM.

Old 08-15-2010, 04:58 AM   #3

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
He made a statement that I don`t agree with. He stated that a Beretta M9 with a standard NATO round had the same stopping power as the 45 ACP at close range. I don`t agree with this statement. Does anyone else have a opinion?

patret

Define close range? 1-5 feet, good round placement, like the head, yes I concur.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-15-2010, 04:28 PM   #4

Mr. Clancy did not define close range. I would guess it would be combat range. Combat range would be about 25 yards.

patret

Old 08-15-2010, 05:19 PM   #5

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I guess Mr. Clancy is technically correct.

If a 9mm kills you or a .45 kills you, you wont be the one arguing about it...it'll be your buddies standing over you wondering how they are going to split up your gear.

Old 08-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #6

Not sure I'd worry about the gun savvy of a former insurance guy turned fiction writer. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

RSVN Oct '69 - May '71
PSCD Ret.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #7

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by patret View Post
Mr. Clancy did not define close range. I would guess it would be combat range. Combat range would be about 25 yards.

patret
That's 75 feet with a handgun. I'd say handgun combat range is 3-12 yards or so...

Old 08-17-2010, 05:48 PM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

All I know is if I have a choice between a 9mm and a .45 for defense, I'll choose the .45 every time. The .45 makes a bigger hole going in and is less apt to overpenetrate with all other things being equal. I'm a firm believer of more frontal area. That's not to say I want to get shot with a 9mm.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-18-2010, 04:38 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So... Overall, did you like the Armored Cavalry book?

Old 08-19-2010, 01:54 AM   #10

I generally like Clancy, but in his non-fiction like Armored Cavalry (I have read a few others), he generalizes a lot.

He is writing about complex subjects for a non-technical audience, and he is only just so technical himself.... I wouldn't say he is necessarily wrong about a lot of things, but in subjects I am familiar with he tends to gloss over some of the finer points.

You can spend a lot of time talking about M9 vs. 1911 (check out any firearms board) and Clancy just isn't going to go that deep, he'll draw a general conclusion and move on.

Paul