Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Armored Cavalry by Tom Clancy (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/armored-cavalry-tom-clancy-30433/)

patret 08-15-2010 02:08 AM

Armored Cavalry by Tom Clancy

I just finished a book written by Tom Clancy and there were no other co- Authors mentioned. He made a statement that I don`t agree with. He stated that a Beretta M9 with a standard NATO round had the same stopping power as the 45 ACP at close range. I don`t agree with this statement. Does anyone else have a opinion?

patret

c3shooter 08-15-2010 03:35 AM

Well, ON PAPER- they are similar. The 9mm NATO is basically a 124 gr +P cartridge, and the muzzle energy is about the same- around 350 ft lbs for 9mm NATO and a 230 gr FMJ .45 ACP.

However, if I was making the call, I would go with fat and slow. Once heard a gent say that a bigger hole lets air in, blood out. Considering that in military use they will all be FMJ, cannot but feel that the bigger bullet will mor efficently transfer energy.

IGETEVEN 08-15-2010 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patret (Post 331829)
He made a statement that I don`t agree with. He stated that a Beretta M9 with a standard NATO round had the same stopping power as the 45 ACP at close range. I don`t agree with this statement. Does anyone else have a opinion?

patret

Define close range? 1-5 feet, good round placement, like the head, yes I concur.

patret 08-15-2010 05:28 PM

Mr. Clancy did not define close range. I would guess it would be combat range. Combat range would be about 25 yards.

patret

HotGuns 08-15-2010 06:19 PM

I guess Mr. Clancy is technically correct.

If a 9mm kills you or a .45 kills you, you wont be the one arguing about it...it'll be your buddies standing over you wondering how they are going to split up your gear.

Dave T 08-15-2010 08:36 PM

Not sure I'd worry about the gun savvy of a former insurance guy turned fiction writer. (smiley face goes here)

Dave

NGIB 08-15-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patret (Post 332126)
Mr. Clancy did not define close range. I would guess it would be combat range. Combat range would be about 25 yards.

patret

That's 75 feet with a handgun. I'd say handgun combat range is 3-12 yards or so...

stalkingbear 08-17-2010 06:48 PM

All I know is if I have a choice between a 9mm and a .45 for defense, I'll choose the .45 every time. The .45 makes a bigger hole going in and is less apt to overpenetrate with all other things being equal. I'm a firm believer of more frontal area. That's not to say I want to get shot with a 9mm.

Alchemist 08-18-2010 05:38 PM

So... Overall, did you like the Armored Cavalry book?

pmeisel 08-19-2010 02:54 AM

I generally like Clancy, but in his non-fiction like Armored Cavalry (I have read a few others), he generalizes a lot.

He is writing about complex subjects for a non-technical audience, and he is only just so technical himself.... I wouldn't say he is necessarily wrong about a lot of things, but in subjects I am familiar with he tends to gloss over some of the finer points.

You can spend a lot of time talking about M9 vs. 1911 (check out any firearms board) and Clancy just isn't going to go that deep, he'll draw a general conclusion and move on.