Anyway to find the registered state if a firearm?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Anyway to find the registered state if a firearm?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2013, 06:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Anyway to find the registered state if a firearm?

Just wondering if there was a way to find out wheat state a gun is registered in. As Ohio residents we are supposed to purchase off of Ohio only residents OR have them transferred through and FFL. BUT I just acquired one from a friend who is in fact an Ohio resident, BUT he bout it off a guy at a WV gun show. What's the worst that could happen if I'm carrying it and its checked and turns out to be a different state?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-11-2013, 06:42 AM   #2

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

None of my guns are "registered." What states have registration? They aren't automobiles!!

A NICS check doesn't get stored in a database and I hope it never does. That sounds an awful lot like INFRINGEMENT to me.

I've bought every one of my guns legally, and most with a NICS check, but there is no place a police officer could check the serial # and get any info about me or the gun. Except maybe that it wasn't reported stolen anywhere...

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 03-11-2013, 10:24 AM   #3
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2955 Times on 1704 Posts
Likes Given: 1271

I do not know your state laws.
But this question should have been brought up before the purchase, not after.

What you have here is a reason for FFL holders. Even if the private transaction took place between friends legally by fed standards, the use of an FFL holder could have eased your concerns.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 03-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9146 Times on 3949 Posts
Likes Given: 1426

Legal advice from us is worth every penny you paid for it. In MOST of the US, there IS no registration of ordinary firearms.

If your friend bought a handgun from another state without going thru an FFL, he has a problem.

Do you REALLY want to become part of his problem?

Federal law (18 US Code, Section 922) says you may not acquire a handgun outside your state of residence. IF he bought it when he lived in WV, and brought the gun with him when he moved- not a problem.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 03-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #5

Liked 121 Times on 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Legal advice from us is worth every penny you paid for it. In MOST of the US, there IS no registration of ordinary firearms.

If your friend bought a handgun from another state without going thru an FFL, he has a problem.

Do you REALLY want to become part of his problem?

Federal law (18 US Code, Section 922) says you may not acquire a handgun outside your state of residence. IF he bought it when he lived in WV, and brought the gun with him when he moved- not a problem.

Right. if the firearm cross state lines in the process of a sale, then there had better be an FFL dealer involved. If the firearm crossed state lines in the process of the owner moving/relocating to a new state, and after he became a resident of a new state sold the gun, then there's no need for an FFL to be involved.

Old 03-12-2013, 05:12 AM   #6

Well to be honest, I asked a friend who owns a LGS and he said I should prolly just leave it like it is....I thought it was strange but figured he knew more than me. I traded some car parts for the gun, so it was too good to pass up. I originally had no intentions on keeping it, but now I've almost decided to hang on to it for a while. It's not thing to keep it at the house and have fun with it once in a while, but I don't wanna carry it and risk getting checked or whatever the case may be, and it come back to bite me. BUT I got it from an Ohio resident and he's an Ohio resident I just don't know who he got it from, just that it was at a local tri-state gun show.