Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Anyone watch "American Guns"

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2012, 04:01 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2440 Times on 1389 Posts
Likes Given: 1910

Last time I checked,

most helicopter rides cost more than the book value of many guns.

Assuming these guys are in business, of course, to make a

profit ?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:09 AM   #42

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthor View Post
When I moved from Virginia to California this year, I made sure to stop by their Gunsmoke Gunshop in Denver on my way. It makes the show funner to have been inside and then see those things on TV.

Yeah, it isn't all the show makes it out to be. The actual location in Wheatridge isn't a scenic part of the city and the reason for all the street shots of Golden (6 miles down the road) that are used to give it western "atmosphere"

Quote:
Originally Posted by clr8ter View Post
This strikes me as one of the least fake parts of the show. They're in Colorado with all those mountains, a chopper may be the best/quickest way to get there.
Well, you might think that but they show great aerial shots of the mountains and just like the streets scenes it is all fluff.
I watch one bit where they said they were going to Fort Morgan and showed some beautiful shots flying over the continental divide, the only problem .... Fort Morgan is 80 miles EAST of Denver in the plains
A Heli ride like that would set him back a couple grand on top of the silly prices he pays.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 07-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #43

Liked 1088 Times on 652 Posts
Likes Given: 55

I like watching all the gun shows just to see all the different guns and some entertainment.

Old 07-31-2012, 04:25 AM   #44

Liked 401 Times on 284 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fathead00
I like watching all the gun shows just to see all the different guns and some entertainment.
I dont watch sons of guns any more, to much drama not enough guns. But american guns is cool, fake but cool. You get to see interesting guns and how they are assembled. You have to take these show with a very large grain of salt. They are scripted fake money makers thats it. But it doesnt mean we cant enjoy them

Old 07-31-2012, 10:43 AM   #45

Liked 561 Times on 371 Posts

I remember one episode where Rich and his son took a bunch of guns to someone looking to buy. He bought all of them and in the collection was (i think) a snipers garand ....... it was pretty sexy

Old 08-01-2012, 10:26 AM   #46

Liked 855 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 519

Quote:
A Heli ride like that would set him back a couple grand on top of the silly prices he pays.
Oh come on......Last time I went to Vegas, you could get a helicopter ride for 2 people to the Grand Canyon for about $600. And besides, since when do those production companies not have ready access to helicopters in the 1st place?

Old 08-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #47

Liked 188 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 303

These shows are just full of little things that I know are fake and or movie magic that it just bugs me.

Near the end when Rich test drives the motorcycle shotgun, he is obviously firing blanks and the jugs are being struck by a single projectile.

Old 08-01-2012, 06:59 PM   #48

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Oh come on......Last time I went to Vegas, you could get a helicopter ride for 2 people to the Grand Canyon for about $600.
Let's start with basis for my " a couple of grand". The shows I have seen showed a Bell Jet Ranger and they average about $900 per hour in a charter. The flight time to Ft Morgan and back will run about 2 hrs, plus they may charge a waiting fee for the pilot's time while they make the gun purchase. so $1800 = a couple of grand in my book. That is based on my experience working in aviation and my time flying helicopters not an ad I saw in Vegas.
BTW a company doing the same scenic ride over and over can price things differently then an "on-demand" charter operator. They also operate smaller less costly helicopters so the operating cost per hour is less ... meaning cheaper rates.

Quote:
And besides, since when do those production companies not have ready access to helicopters in the 1st place?
When did I say they don't have ready access .. they do, they call a charter operator and book the time and pay the cost, its big business doing that stuff for TV, movies, etc.
Or does your comment seriously suggest that you think there are helicopters stationed around the US for TV crews to use at no charge?
BTW even if they own the helicopter it cost about $400 per hour just to operate a light turbine like the Jet Ranger plus the hanger fees and pilots, insurance etc.

What if there were no hypothetical questions?

Old 08-01-2012, 07:07 PM   #49

Liked 867 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 606

Both are horrible shows that make gun owners look stupid. I have been known to watch them for a minute or two but was way to drunk at the time.

USMC 74-78

Old 08-02-2012, 10:09 AM   #50

Liked 855 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 519

My ready access comment insinuated that TV production crews have the money and the contacts..........