Anyone tried 460 Rowland?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Anyone tried 460 Rowland?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2012, 02:44 AM   #1
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2230 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Default Anyone tried 460 Rowland?

So has anyone tried a 460 Rowland? If so, what has been your experience? Was it a conversion?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2012, 03:21 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

ive got one. works very good. recoil is pretty stiff. its got a lot of rotational torque. muzzle blast is unpleasent if your not wearing REALLY good ear protection. it could be really awesome suppressed. i think its pretty damn powerful and a ton of fun to shoot as i dont need anything super special to load for it.

not a good carry round. while very very effective identical to 44 mag in power its an extreme over penetrator. very slow on followup shots.

mine is a conversion installed in my springfield armory 1911A1 its shot both the front and rear sights off.

however im considering selling the kit to fund other projects as im not a huge handgunner i just dont have a good place to shoot without losing the pricey brass for it

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 08-07-2012 at 03:25 AM.

Old 08-07-2012, 03:23 AM   #3

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

both Cane and JD tried 460 Rolands a while back, a head to head thread - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/big-thunder-ii-vs-fenrir-1911-460-rowland-build-off-10752/.

A few others have followed suit as well, Bear being one of them.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Dillinger Likes This 
Old 08-07-2012, 04:41 AM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I'm thinking about it as choice for woods carry out west. We're looking at another trip west next year. I would rather not go unarmed this time.

Or maybe I'll just spring for a 29 or similar.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-07-2012, 05:10 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

I think your better off with a 44mag and hardcast buffalo bore ammo in a ruger redhawk or blackhawk much stronger guns very capable of handling those pressures than a sw29 for that sort of use.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 08-10-2012, 12:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5949 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 5516

Everything about the.460 Rowland is good. But like lots of good rounds, it just never caught on.

If you're looking for a gun to carry "out west," carry what the natives do. A 9MM.

Winston Churchill

Old 08-10-2012, 01:12 AM   #7

Liked 41 Times on 30 Posts

Maybe he meant the Glock 29? Isn't that the smaller one chambered for the 10mm auto? I personally have considered the Glock 20...

Old 08-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #8
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Werminator View Post
Maybe he meant the Glock 29? Isn't that the smaller one chambered for the 10mm auto? I personally have considered the Glock 20...
Good lord NO. 29 as in Smith & Wesson model 29, 44 magnum.

Glock... yikes... sends chills up my spine.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA

Last edited by ScottA; 08-10-2012 at 02:01 AM.
Dillinger Likes This 
Old 08-10-2012, 02:08 AM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I converted a Kimber to fire the .460 Rowland. I ended up moving the kit to Stalkingbear and the pistol to Goju, but when it was together it kicked Cane's ass in our build off.

My impression was that it was a hell of a lot of power in your hands. A ridiculous amount of power to be honest. The kind of "boom" that has everyone on the range looking in your direction and muttering things like "Is that a .50?"

I ordered some 185gr. super hot loads out of the gate and they were awesome. The muzzle break works really well, keeps you on target and the recoil is well managed. Mind you it was an all steel gun to begin with, so it wasn't a lightweight carry piece, but with all that extra power it was like a whole new day.

It was a nice project, but the ammo price and availability just didn't really suit me to be perfectly honest. I went to re-order and the rounds I wanted were backlogged. I don't reload for my pistols (yet), so it just seemed like a pet project that had run it's course.

And Cane was still yanking his pud with the mental midgets at Colt because his Uber weapon was delayed due to complications.

For a bear situation? Unless you have a high cap, 10+1 rounders, I would be hesitant to "recommend" it. The .500 S&W is probably a more serious deterrent .

I would trust the .460 in the right hands, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone else just because round placement is going to be the key to staying alive in a bear encounter.

JD

Old 08-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #10

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts

I converted a Kimber TLE to 460 about 2 yrs. ago.I love to shoot this gun.Very strong,and accurate.I live just up the road from Ga. Arms,so ammo is usually no problem.It is an attention getter at the range,and one heck of a pin gun!