Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Anyone tried 460 Rowland? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/anyone-tried-460-rowland-69797/)

ScottA 08-07-2012 02:44 AM

Anyone tried 460 Rowland?

So has anyone tried a 460 Rowland? If so, what has been your experience? Was it a conversion?

JonM 08-07-2012 03:21 AM

ive got one. works very good. recoil is pretty stiff. its got a lot of rotational torque. muzzle blast is unpleasent if your not wearing REALLY good ear protection. it could be really awesome suppressed. i think its pretty damn powerful and a ton of fun to shoot as i dont need anything super special to load for it.

not a good carry round. while very very effective identical to 44 mag in power its an extreme over penetrator. very slow on followup shots.

mine is a conversion installed in my springfield armory 1911A1 its shot both the front and rear sights off.

however im considering selling the kit to fund other projects as im not a huge handgunner i just dont have a good place to shoot without losing the pricey brass for it

dog2000tj 08-07-2012 03:23 AM

both Cane and JD tried 460 Rolands a while back, a head to head thread - http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/big-thunder-ii-vs-fenrir-1911-460-rowland-build-off-10752/.

A few others have followed suit as well, Bear being one of them.

ScottA 08-07-2012 04:41 AM

I'm thinking about it as choice for woods carry out west. We're looking at another trip west next year. I would rather not go unarmed this time.

Or maybe I'll just spring for a 29 or similar.

JonM 08-07-2012 05:10 AM

I think your better off with a 44mag and hardcast buffalo bore ammo in a ruger redhawk or blackhawk much stronger guns very capable of handling those pressures than a sw29 for that sort of use.

locutus 08-10-2012 12:18 AM

Everything about the.460 Rowland is good. But like lots of good rounds, it just never caught on.

If you're looking for a gun to carry "out west," carry what the natives do. A 9MM.:)

Werminator 08-10-2012 01:12 AM

Maybe he meant the Glock 29? Isn't that the smaller one chambered for the 10mm auto? I personally have considered the Glock 20...

ScottA 08-10-2012 01:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Werminator (Post 898850)
Maybe he meant the Glock 29? Isn't that the smaller one chambered for the 10mm auto? I personally have considered the Glock 20...

Good lord NO. 29 as in Smith & Wesson model 29, 44 magnum.

Glock... yikes... sends chills up my spine.

Dillinger 08-10-2012 02:08 AM

I converted a Kimber to fire the .460 Rowland. I ended up moving the kit to Stalkingbear and the pistol to Goju, but when it was together it kicked Cane's ass in our build off. :D:cool:

My impression was that it was a hell of a lot of power in your hands. A ridiculous amount of power to be honest. :eek: The kind of "boom" that has everyone on the range looking in your direction and muttering things like "Is that a .50?"

I ordered some 185gr. super hot loads out of the gate and they were awesome. The muzzle break works really well, keeps you on target and the recoil is well managed. Mind you it was an all steel gun to begin with, so it wasn't a lightweight carry piece, but with all that extra power it was like a whole new day. :D

It was a nice project, but the ammo price and availability just didn't really suit me to be perfectly honest. I went to re-order and the rounds I wanted were backlogged. I don't reload for my pistols (yet), so it just seemed like a pet project that had run it's course.

And Cane was still yanking his pud with the mental midgets at Colt because his Uber weapon was delayed due to complications. :D

For a bear situation? Unless you have a high cap, 10+1 rounders, I would be hesitant to "recommend" it. The .500 S&W is probably a more serious deterrent .

I would trust the .460 in the right hands, but I wouldn't recommend it to someone else just because round placement is going to be the key to staying alive in a bear encounter.

JD

Transman 08-12-2012 01:38 AM

I converted a Kimber TLE to 460 about 2 yrs. ago.I love to shoot this gun.Very strong,and accurate.I live just up the road from Ga. Arms,so ammo is usually no problem.It is an attention getter at the range,and one heck of a pin gun!