Anyone had lasik and has it changed your shooting? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Anyone had lasik and has it changed your shooting?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2011, 04:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I had lasik about 5 years ago-best thing ever. If your eyes are bad like mine, can't see the clock in the morning, get both eyes done but if not too bad you could get get one done. My friend had one eye done and had no problems. Shooting and most everything else is better. Yes the night starburst effect is annoying at times.

Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM   #12

Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I had lasik done and it greatly improved my shooting with iron sights. It also improved my shooting with a scope. I used to have to take my glasses off to shoot through a scope but since having lasik I can get my sight picture a lot faster and easier. I have some glasses I wear sometimes just for long distance and I use them with iron sights for distances greater than 100 yards. They allow me to see objects in the distance clearly and still be able to focus on the front sight.

Old 11-06-2011, 06:01 PM   #13
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2569 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 738

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellis36 View Post
I'm 75 years old. About fifteen years ago I realized I couldn't see at night. Turned out I had cataracts. It was explained to me that cataracts act as a light filter and lessen the amount of light that passes through the lens. After surgery my night vision was restored, as well as my far vision. (The artificial lens they install has a prescription.) I only have to wear reading glasses. Didn't solve my problem with pistol sights. Blurry as h***! Comes with age, they say.
I had cataract surgery done too. I can handle pistol sight to 10 yards but 25 yards is pushing it. I need peeps or optics on rifles. Night vision is not a problem. I still wear glasses as I have astigmatisms. There are new toric lenses available now but they wont redo the surgery. I could get lasik to correct the astigmatisms but I feel I may be too old and have seen some seniors that had trouble.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 11-06-2011, 07:11 PM   #14

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

dpowers, I had the exact procedure done about 15 years ago and it was the best thing I've ever done. I was extremely near sighted and he made my dominant eye for distance and off-side eye for close. I've had no problems at all in all these years. Now I was told I'm getting cataracts and will need them operated on probably next year but these conditions are not related. The cataracts come with age. I heartily recommend the lasic surgery.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 11-06-2011, 10:34 PM   #15

Liked 1705 Times on 1015 Posts
Likes Given: 370

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I tried the near far thing with glasses and it did not work. I had the glasses changed after 2 days. You are not going to be able to do that with lasik. I came close to falling down a set of metal stairs and then there was trying to work on a computer screen. Your eyes are supposed to work together and be additive. With the near far they are working against each other and subtractive.
JTJ

I was thinking about having a set of glasses set up this way, but only intended to use them at the range. Did they work for that?

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #16

Before you ca have it done in lasik you have to have a trial period with contacts to make sure there is no problems.
What my concerned is as I get older and need reading glass how will it interfere with seeing the sights on a handgun?

Dave

Old 11-06-2011, 10:50 PM   #17
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2569 Times on 1400 Posts
Likes Given: 738

I did not have them long enough to try shooting. They would not work for me.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.