Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Handgun Discussion (
-   -   Anyone familiar with Star firearms? (

GlockStar 09-10-2011 07:02 AM

Anyone familiar with Star firearms?
I have a firestar m43. Anyone own or know anything about this discontinued firearms manufacturer?

jyo 09-10-2011 09:30 AM

Many years ago when they first came out, I bought the first M43 9mm in L.A.---neat little pistol---shot as well as my full-size 9mm Hi Power (which was very well)---a bit heavy, but very small---I carried it during the Rodney King Riots of 1992---had five extra mags. Star was by far the best of the Spanish pistols---they are all out of production now for many many years. Enjoy yours! Oh, the only reason I sold it was because I got a Kahr CW9 pistol to replace it---MUCH lighter.

moonpie 09-10-2011 03:54 PM

have a star BM myself. good solid dependable piece of machinery. like a 67 chevy. Star Bonifacio Echeverria - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Wambli 09-10-2011 04:00 PM

Originally Posted by GlockStar (Post 577783)
I have a firestar m43. Anyone own or know anything about this discontinued firearms manufacturer?

My first 1911 "style" gun was a Star PD, a gun ahead of it's time. The little pistol was a pleasure to carry and shoot, danged accurate and reliable. Sold it years ago to finance my first Colt, wish I had kept it.

canebrake 09-10-2011 04:04 PM

I have a Star Model B 9mm.

It's a 65 year old fun to shoot gun, but not something I'd elevate to carry status.

Parts (mags) are hard to find!

M14sRock 09-10-2011 04:06 PM

Star made very high quality pistols, for a very long time.

I'm currently down to one, a PD.

Trez 09-10-2011 04:27 PM

I had a Firestar 9mm, I wish I never sold it... It was tiny but was heavy like a brick and had very little recoil or jump.. :(

GlockStar 09-10-2011 05:03 PM

Thanks for the responses guys. Didn't expect so many favorible opinions. I bought this one for 300 but I was a little sour when I learned it was discontinued (admittedly only at my self). Cane, I did seem to pay out the ear for my spare mag (cunning old man at the gunshop!). I guess my biggest concern is giving this baby a nice cleaning. The magazine well is rather sticky. Do y'all believe I can find a local gunsmith who is knowledgeable enough to work on it ? If not,what do you suggest?

GunDoc 09-11-2011 03:05 PM

I have a Firestar Plus, which is the double stack 9mm and it's one of my favorite handguns. Gun Digest online sells a great pdf on Star schematics for a couple of dollars and I would (and have) download a copy. Keep an eye on CDNN as mags will show up from time to time for the different models and can be picked up in the under $20 range.

From the uninformed you'll hear a bunch of bashing over your Spanish pistole, but those of us who know, as you soon will, that they were for the most part well made, reliable and concealable arms.

Congrats on your new Star.

moonpie 09-11-2011 03:33 PM

M14sRock, i was wanting a PD when i found my BM.