Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Anyone ever look into the safety of tritium sights? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/anyone-ever-look-into-safety-tritium-sights-69283/)

Gh0zt36 07-31-2012 12:35 AM

Anyone ever look into the safety of tritium sights?

I briefly looked it up and saw a bunch of opinions but couldn't find any hard facts. I appendix carry is my concern and the tritium in the trijicon HDs I just ordered for my sig p239 are nuclear material. and seeing appendix carry is right over or next to your junk , I'm not really wanting to sterilize myself.

Anyone ever look into and get an answer of whether long term exposure to tritium would be detrimental?

mountainman13 07-31-2012 12:38 AM

I'd love to see a write up on it but I wouldn't worry about it. It's such a small amount of material and likely such a low level of radiation that it's probably less harmful than your cellphone.

Wilder 07-31-2012 01:37 AM

The sights have a tiny bit of tritium in a glass capsule, in a plastic capsule, pressed in to a metal sight. In the unlikely event the capsules break there is too small an amount to do you any harm.
You would need to carry handful of tritium for several years to be in danger of any ill effects from the radiation it emits. I do believe the sights have less than a grain of tritium with a reactive gas that creates the glow.

JonM 07-31-2012 02:26 AM

its harmless unless you decide to break it open and smear it in your eyes or eat it.

tritium gets a bad rap because they used to use radium to get that glow effect and that stuff IS bad news. so the unknowing equate tritium with radium because they both glow in the dark...

in the manual for the cz97bd it says if you are exposed to the tritium you should seek medical help and drink lots of beer to conteract it lol. its in the manual

kytowboater 07-31-2012 02:30 AM

There are EXIT signs in buildings, that contain wayyyyy more radioactive material.... They HAVE to be inspected every year, does that happen, no..... So like mentioned above, you would have to eat it to be harmful, even then.... you probably get more exposure from an xray. Good call though, I never knew that had it in there...:cool:

MrWray 07-31-2012 03:18 AM

Just dont be trying to lick the tritium out of them ;-)

They are fine, ive used night sights on handguns for 12 years now and i havent ever heard of a case of poisoning from them.

Gh0zt36 07-31-2012 05:20 AM

Thanks for the info. Seeing as im puttin this stuff next to my balls I just wanted some opinions lol

I got the yellow dot trijicon hds . Just waitin for'em to get to my local ammo shop. Sight picture looks amazing from what I've seen.

I think the .357 sig p239 with the trijicon HDs is gonna be the perfect CC

dog2000tj 07-31-2012 05:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 (Post 887920)
Thanks for the info. Seeing as im puttin this stuff next to my balls I just wanted some opinions lol

nothing says party like a little tritium on ones balls ;)

:D

winds-of-change 07-31-2012 05:43 AM

I have a Sig P238 and I love my night sights. I worried for about......oh, maybe.....3 seconds about the radiation. That was about it.

dog2000tj 07-31-2012 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winds-of-change (Post 887935)
I have a Sig P238 and I love my night sights. I worried for about......oh, maybe.....3 seconds about the radiation. That was about it.

you were worried about irradiating your balls? :confused: :eek:

:p :D