Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Anybody have a Mateba?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 695 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Default Anybody have a Mateba?

Just would like to know more about them before I fork over that kind of $$$$....

The one in question is a .357 Mag; are the .38 Spl. spring kits available anymore?

The shop wants $1,300 for it, (I may be able to get him to go down or have it out the door for that price) Looks like its in perfect condition.. I have seen them for twice the price, but thats still quite the investment for me, and Im a bit hesitant... (But it is a autorevolver, and thats just F-ing awesome!)

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-09-2012, 06:40 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

$1300? My Ruger GP100 will shoot .357 & .38 and cost about $400.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 11-09-2012, 06:48 PM   #3

Liked 695 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
$1300? My Ruger GP100 will shoot .357 & .38 and cost about $400.
I know, thats more than the 'dusa...

But looking around the web the Matebas are going $3,000+

Old 11-10-2012, 01:51 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Mateba. Unicorn. Saddle up.

Old 11-10-2012, 02:03 AM   #5

Liked 20 Times on 14 Posts

Where is this shop? I want it.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:00 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Just would like to know more about them before I fork over that kind of $$$$....

The one in question is a .357 Mag; are the .38 Spl. spring kits available anymore?

The shop wants $1,300 for it, (I may be able to get him to go down or have it out the door for that price) Looks like its in perfect condition.. I have seen them for twice the price, but thats still quite the investment for me, and Im a bit hesitant... (But it is a autorevolver, and thats just F-ing awesome!)

Matebas are a Unique design combining the advantages of a revolver and a semi automatic pistol. The designer is no longer alive and the company is defunct. The 38 is not a good option as that cartridge probably will not have enough pressure to operate the gun in semi automatic. These guns are quite rare and collectible and the $1300.00 price is well below market price for collectors. The guns came in varying barrel lengths and calibers including 4,6, 8 & 18" (carbine) -.357, 44Magnum & 454 Casull . Parts are difficult to come by but you may want to contact Russell at AWA in Miami who was the original importer and distrubutor.

www.matebafan.com is also a good source of information. I would buy the one at $1300.00 in a heartbeat if it is complete and clean - it would easily go for between $2000.00 & $3000.00 on Gunbroker.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:57 AM   #7

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts

I recently bought a Chiappa Rhino,very similar design,some of the same folks I think.A very sweet shooter with a 4" barrel.Just under a thousand.Draws a lot of attention at the range.

Old 11-13-2012, 04:17 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transman
I recently bought a Chiappa Rhino,very similar design,some of the same folks I think.A very sweet shooter with a 4" barrel.Just under a thousand.Draws a lot of attention at the range.
The main designer is exactly the same guy, Emilio Ghisoni. Chiappa is one of the few companies to give his ideas a chance after Mateba. It's an effective design and ingenious. Wish I could get a 2-inch barrel here in CA.